Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Complimenting an older man 2019/5/28 09:38
I have an older Japanese officemate (like 5 yrs older than me) whom I complimented recently telling him that he's cute. He gave a little chuckle and said, "Cute? You know I'm older than you"

Was that offending to them?

Btw I'm Filipina
by 0320Hwang  

Re: Complimenting an older man 2019/5/28 15:37
you used "kawaii?" generally kawaii isnt used for men, especially elder ones (use kakkoi or something like that instead). but if he did chuckle i guess it was ok, especially coming from a foreigner?
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Complimenting an older man 2019/5/28 19:29
Hi Glimpigumpi - Yes, I told him "Ahhh cute" (well I was referring to his photo) Then yea,, many thanks for the response!
by 0320Hwang rate this post as useful

Re: Complimenting an older man 2019/5/28 20:14
My understanding is that even in the United States or Britain, you don't use the English word "cute" to compliment your senior, unless you're flirting with him. To me, it's a word you use when you baby someone. But then, I'm not American nor British. I'm Japanese.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Complimenting an older man 2019/5/29 07:30
Cute depending on the context, can be used many ways also in the English language. In Britain or American as previously referenced, it can be used towards a senior or older person. But again without context, one cannot understand/know if it was used correctly or not.

But in Japanese society, I think you'll find cute/kawaii used more towards children, moi or smaller like persons/objects. And I think in the English language, you'll probably find it a similar fashion, just not as taboo if aimed towards a senior or older person.

But if you got a chuckle out of him, then I'm doubtful he got offended.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread