Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Refund on suica commuter pass for 1 week 2019/5/29 09:39
Hello,

I have a valid commuter pass on my Suica still until June 7th. Since I won't need it anymore from today, I was wondering if it is possible to get a least a small refund for this remaining week or not. I would assume not, since it is only a week, but if someone knows that would be highly appreciated.

by City Hunter (guest)  

Re: Refund on suica commuter pass for 1 week 2019/5/29 16:27
A simple google search give you the answer

Suica cards issued by JR East Japan can be returned only at JR East stations. Suica cards issued by the Tokyo Monorail or elsewhere cannot be returned to JR East. Refer to the issuing company for further details on how to return them.
When the card is returned, the deposit of 500 yen is returned along with any remaining amount.
There is a charge of 220 yen to return a Suica card, which is deducted from the total. For refunds, a fee of 220 yen is subtracted from the total (a result of less than zero is considered zero), and then the initial 500 yen deposit is added.
Refund examples

With a balance of 1,000 yen, the fee of 220 yen is subtracted for 780 yen, and then the deposit of 500 yen is added for a refund of 1,280 yen.
When the balance is 100 yen, subtracting the fee leaves less than zero, so the amount is considered zero, and then the deposit of 500 yen is added for a total refund of 500 yen.
When the balance is zero, subtracting the fee leaves less than zero, so the amount is considered zero, and then the deposit of 500 yen is added for a total refund of 500 yen.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Refund on suica commuter pass for 1 week 2019/5/29 16:52
Yet another useless "answer" from justmyday...

No, you can't get a refund on a commuter pass with less than a month of validity left.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Refund on suica commuter pass for 1 week 2019/5/29 17:02
@ guest if you think so be brave enough to include more information.
Because never had any issues.

Please clarify and also I will be less kind toward you.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Refund on suica commuter pass for 1 week 2019/5/29 17:37
What they say is correct in either sense.

The amount to be paid back from the commuter pass is the balance after deducting the regular fare and the fee of 220 yen for the number of months already used (the fraction of days less than one month is assumed to be one month) from the sale amount. However, there may be no repayment amount.

Repayment amount = Commuter ticket release amount-Regular fare for the number of used months-Fee 220 yen

Example) In the case of refunding a valid 6-month pass from April 1 to September 30 on August 20
Payment amount = 6 months commuter pass fare-(3 month regular fare + 1 month regular fare x 2)-220 yen

Depending on how long your commuter pass is, it is very likely that the refund amount is very small or 0 yen.
You should go to the window as soon as possible.
by LinaLisa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread