Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/5/31 15:28
I need some assistance with booking Fujikyuko/Keio Bus from Shinjuku Bus Terminal to Lake Kawaguchiko.

http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/highway/detail/id/1

We will have a five-day window in Tokyo (22-26 Oct) to make Lake Kawaguchiko day trip based on the weather.
Is it possible to purchase or book return bus tickets in advance without exact date?

Also, I am trying to understand Down-line "Bound for Fuji-Goko (Five Lakes)" timetable.
Is earliest embarking to Kawaguchiko 6.05am, or 9.45am?
Do you specifiy embarking time etc at time of purchasing tickets?

Thanks!

by mynus  

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/1 12:56
Booking bus tickets without exact date and time is impossible.
But you can change the reservation easily online without additional charge if there is a vacant seat.

On weekdays, Shinjuku`Fuji-Goko Busses are not crowded.
On weekend and holiday, return buses are very crowded and often delayed 1 hour or more in the afternoon due to Chuo Highway congestion.
Note that October 22 will be special holiday this year

Earliest embarking to Kawaguchiko is 6.05am now.
The English version of the timetable may not the newest.
https://bus.fujikyu.co.jp/highway/detail/id/1#d_h02

Almost all the busses on the timetable go to Kawaguchiko.
by Chibanian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/1 21:00
Thank you for helpful response, much appreciated.
by mynus rate this post as useful

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/6 10:00
I am looking into the option of using JR Pass. In relation to:

The JR Tokyo Wide Pass covers the entire journey between Tokyo and Kawaguchiko (except panorama seats on limited express trains); however, the Japan Rail Pass and other JR passes are not valid between Otsuki and Kawaguchiko. A supplement fee of 1140 yen (1740 yen for limited express trains) has to be paid for that section.

1. How do you ensure a direct limited express train?

2. Is 1740 yen supplement for one-way, ie. 3480 yen for entire journey?

By bus from Shinjuku. Station to Kawaguchiko station it is 1950 yen one-way, 3900 yen entire journey.
Therefore, it almost does not pay off using JR Pass (with 3480 yen supplement fare)

Is this correct?

Many thanks.

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/6 12:18
Hi!

1) To find a direct limited express train, I use Hyperdia which tells me whether my train is a Limited Express or not.

2) The supplementary fee is generally charged each way.

The JR Pass pays off if you're going to be using it for other trips, the same holds true for the JR East and JR Nagano-Niigata Pass. I'm using a JR East Pass my next trip. I'm doing a day trip from Tokyo to Koriyama (16,000 yen round trip) and then Going to Sendai (11,000 yen), then Ichinoseki (3820 yen) and eventually taking JR back to Tokyo (at least 11,000 yen.) I'm definitely getting my 19,000 yen's worth. A good way to think about it is for the JR Pass to pay off you need to be averaging at least 4200 yen in travel per day the pass is valid, other passes vary based on cost and validity period. Now you could do 2 expensive trips (Tokyo to Kanazawa) and (Tokyo to Sendai) and still have a day or two left, and since you already more than made up the value of the pass 27,840 yen and 22,000 yen respectively that using a spare day for Kawaguchiko or even to just use the Yamanote line, isn't a big deal because you already more than covered the cost of the pass, but those two trips over 6 days averaged 8300 yen a day so even if you just spend 500 yen your last day you're ahead with 7100 yen per day.

I've not gotten a Tokyo Wide Pass. I would imagine if you're making a day trip to Karuizawa and a day trip to Nikko, the pass more than pays off.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/6 12:41
Thanks for the reply, however I was not questioning if JR Pass is worth getting for my entire Japan visit.
My post relates to using JR Pass for train travel from Shinjuku to Lake Kawaguchiko. Once you factor is the Otsuki supplementary fee, it doesn't seem worthwhile, since it works out to almost the same fee as using the non-JR bus services - if I am understanding it correctly.

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/6 19:26
Not 1950 but 1750 yen if you buy on the netf probably .

by Chibanian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/6 22:26
@Mynus, Yup, it pretty much does. It's why generally when people are looking to travel to Kawaguchiko I recommend they take the bus. It takes about the same length of time, runs at least once an hour, and is the same price or cheaper.

Why do people still want to use a JR Pass for the trip? I don't know.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Fujikyuko/Keio Bus - Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko 2019/6/7 08:32

reply to this thread