Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Health insurance - traveling before settling 2019/5/31 15:44
I will be moving to Kyoto this August, but actually will be arriving in Japan in July, and traveling for a few weeks in Hokkaido/Tohoku before settling down in Kyoto. Since I won't be able to sign up for National Health Insurance until I get to Kyoto, will I be covered while traveling? Or is there a way to sign up for it as soon as I arrive in Japan (Sapporo)? From what I've read, it seems like I'll technically be covered by NHI during the travel time -- I just have to pay in full if I encounter any medical expenses, then get reimbursed later after I sign up for NHI. Is this correct?
by Elaine (guest)  

Re: Health insurance - traveling before settling 2019/5/31 16:57
What is your residential status going to be while travelling?
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Health insurance - traveling before settling 2019/5/31 17:20
What is your residential status going to be while travelling?

Probably student or work; it is immaterial here.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Health insurance - traveling before settling 2019/5/31 17:51
As far as I know, I donft think youfd be reimbursed for the payment if you sign up later.

If I were you, I would probably sign up for travel insurance before you leave your home country to cover you during the time you will be traveling, then when you settle in Kyoto go sign up for the NHI.

Or maybe you will have a resident status already that you might be eligible, but signing up once in Sapporo (your address there?) and then the card arrives, then soon afterwards you will have to do a move-out procedure (from Sapporo, if you have an address), and move-in in Kyoto, which sounds just a bit cumbersome during travels.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Health insurance - traveling before settling 2019/6/1 02:42
My husband will be there on a Professor visa, and my kids and I will be there on dependent visas. So this question is actually on behalf of my whole family. We won't have an address in Sapporo; we will just be entering the country there, then traveling around Hokkaido and Tohoku for a few weeks before getting to Kyoto, which is where we'll actually be living. I don't think we'd be able to sign up for NHI on Sapporo unless we have an actual address there....? (Or could we sign up in Sapporo using our Kyoto address?)

Does travel insurance work? From what I've read, many of the doctors/clinics don't accept travel insurance.
by Elaine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Health insurance - traveling before settling 2019/6/1 08:09
Travelers insurance is the type you pay in full and get reimbursed later, I believe.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Health insurance - traveling before settling 2019/6/1 11:09
By the way, are you sure you will enroll in the NHI? If your husband will be employed, he should get his health insurance through his employer, and your whole family would be covered under it as dependents.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread