Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 04:27

Does anyone know how to get a Railpass that lasts LONGER than 21 Days?!

I am spending roughly 2 months traveling by rail/bus, with a focus on Kyushu, so will be very greatful for any tips. (route sorted, just having trouble with travel logistics...)

Thanks
by Adarnim  

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 11:07
Normally for travel like that. Since you are spending 3-4 days bwteen location. Rail passed dont pay off.

Use single tickets. Or use buses for a cheaper slower option as long distance travel.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 11:08
Yes, buy multiple passes....though I doubt they will ever pay off unless you are traveling almost every day.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 11:54
If you are touring mostly in Kyushu, definitely do not buy nation-wide pass. If any, look into various Kyushu passes.
https://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/railpass/railpass.html

For a long-term stay in Kyushu, you may want to look into local passes for a few days at a time.
by Bas Ashi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 14:25
As mentioned, for longer travel, you buy multiple passes. Also as mentioned, passes are worthwhile only if you are doing lots of travelling. And around Kyushu unless you had a really unusual route, it would be hard to get that much travel.
Example: 51 days, let's say seven seeks or three * 21-day rail passes at Y60k each, that's 180,000 yen.
High-speed travel is normally the most expensive, but based on some numbers I was doing a couple of years back, basically 30 yen per kilometer. So, those passes would cover 6,000 km.
Hakata to Nagasaki 150 km - you could do that almost every day before any savings.
Hakata to Kagoshima-Chuo is less than 300km and around 10,000 yen - 18 trips before the passes start to save a single yen.
Even something obsure on a non-optimised route Kumamoto to Beppu is only 300km.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 21:34
Hyperdia and Google maps will give you estimation of ticket prices on the day or future. Just add that all up and see if the cost is cheaper.

Most major cities have a JR pass office so make sure you get a new one when dotting around if it works out cheaper.
by r43534 rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 22:15
When are you traveling? How much of a rush are you in? The 18 Free Kippu might be an option if speed is not that important but budget is.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 22:39

Thanks eveyone!
} *mfedley* ;
- The 18 Free Kippu - What is it & how / where does it work? (never heard of it befor)
- I'm traveling in October/November & yes, speed is not that important but budget is very tight.
by Adarnim rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/3 23:02
It's not valid when you are visiting.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html

To be honest - there are not too many passes in Kyushu that may be worth your while unless you are traveling long distances in a short time.

Please consider potential bus passes (Sun-Q) and Kyushu rail passes when traveling long distances over a shorter period of time. Using a Suica/Pasmo card for shorter distances is probably going to be cheaper in the long run

It's all on this page: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e627.html
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/4 03:14
Plan the itinerary first, and then look at possible passes.
Sometimes you can shuffle destinations around so that you do all your long journeys in one period of time - and then a pass may pay off, but donft assume that you need to have a pass and donft let the gneedh to have a pass dictate your holiday.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/4 06:48

Ok. General / Over-all consensus; Pass wont 'pay-off' for this trip... but plenty of good-to-knows for the future!

Thanks again!!!

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/4 16:03
You must Buy rail pass.If I spend half million yen included return air fare,
Hotel cost,food cost then why I can't spend few yen for transport pass.
One way ticket is more expensive. As I am a student, so I buy 30 days rail pass for 72000 yen.and travel extensively by shinkansen,Limited express and Local Train.I will tell you name of rail pass,if you provide:
1)What is your visa category? Such as Tourism, study?
2)Which prefecture you want to travel?
by Imran (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/4 16:51

1)Visa: Tourism
2)Which prefecture want to travel: Norther Kyushu (2 - 3 days in each place min.)
3) Is what you're sujesting avalable for longer than 30 Days?
4) On Very Tight Budget!

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/4 19:35
If your budget is that tight, then my opinion would be to shorten the length of your stay in Japan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/5 04:02

In a nutshell: . . . It's a Challenged I've given myself! ^u^

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/5 07:52
Crack on.
Get 3 x 21 day green car passes and also have a look at the 7 stars train, since youfre going to be in Kyushu.
Alternatively- listen to the guys above who are telling you useful advice...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 51 Day Railpass? 2019/6/5 10:01
Statement from Imran (above) is incorrect.

"Must buy a pass" and "tickets more expensive" depends on the route. Millions arrive and stay in/around one city and an expensive pass is a waste of money. Also many many visitors only do a simple round trip (usually Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka) and for that trip a pass isn't the cheapest/best way.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread