Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

North Kyushu Rail Pass 2019/6/3 22:20
Hi All

I made a search in Hyperdia for a train travel between Beppu and Kumamoto.

The costs indicated for all the options are more than 10,000Yen. If I buy a North Kyushu 3 days rail pass that cost 8,500yen, would not this be cheaper? Even if I am using the pass just for this trip, it would worth it. Is this a no-brainer question?

Limiting the search to 1 transfer, it can be done either transfer in Hakata or Kokura.

Can anyone tell me that the pass does not work for this route?

Thank you.
by snakyman  

Re: North Kyushu Rail Pass 2019/6/4 06:47
What you are proposing should work.

Although if you want a cheaper and quicker option...

https://kyushubusbooking.com/highway-bus/yamabiko-go/
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: North Kyushu Rail Pass 2019/6/4 06:49
When I say quicker. It is probably 15 mins.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: North Kyushu Rail Pass 2019/6/4 08:53
Beppu to Kumamoto is Y7,060, so much cheaper than the pass. The Y10,000 fare you found using the shinkansen is faster (by around 100 minutes), but also much more expensive. In Hyperdia, uncheck the shinkansen boxes in the search panel.

So, no, your question is not a no-brainer.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: North Kyushu Rail Pass 2019/6/4 12:23
Hi both.

Thanks for your information. These are something which I have not found out. I will certainly give it a thought to make things worthwhile.

Putting this in my bigger picture, the plan is for a 5days North Kyushu Rail Pass for this itinerary:

Day 1 - 7/10/19 - Beppu to Kumamoto (via Kokura or Hakata)

Day 2 - 8/10/19 - In Kumamoto (not much use of the pass)

Day 3 - 9/10/19 - Kumamoto to Fukuoka (with Shinkansen train)

Day 4 - 10/10/19 - Day trip from Fukuoka to Yutoku Inari Shrine and then Nagasaki (return to Fukuoka late evening)

Day 5 - 11/10/19 - In Fukuoka

Will the 5 days rail pass work of 10,000Yen for this itinerary.

You will probably advise me to spent more time in Nagasaki, but that's the plan as it is now. Would appreciate confirmation if the rail pass works for this itinerary.

Thank you.
by snakyman rate this post as useful

Re: North Kyushu Rail Pass 2019/6/4 15:23
Same question on the TA forum - with the extra travel, the pass makes more sense. Refer to the answers from the other regulars on that forum.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: North Kyushu Rail Pass 2019/6/4 16:17
Ya. We are the same person. Just want to be doubly sure of the pass.

Thanks. I have the confirmation and your assurance that it makes more sense with the pass.
by snakyman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread