Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Budget Pocket Wifi Kyushu & rural places 2019/6/4 16:32
Hi everyone,

Will be Travelling around Kyushu for roughly 51 Days and I am on a tight budget...
Currently favoring these 3 possibilities;

- LightPocket - Rental Pocket Wi-Fi SoftBank Plans (Unlimited - 60 Days) tol; \15810 Basically unlimited speed. It might be limited if 5GB/day consumption continues for several days in a row.

- CDJapan - Rental Rental Pocket Wi-Fi WiMAX Plans
Wimax: High-Speed 10GB/3Day 60 Days 3300MBdate/day tol; \17640
Data speeds would be up to 1MB under the speed limit.

- GENKI MOBILE Rental Pocket Wi-Fi docomo Plans
Long Term Portable Wi-Fi 1GB 60 Days 1000MBdate/day tol; \15240
Data speeds would be up to 200kbps under the speed limit.

Does anyone know / have experience with how reliable they are, especialy in rural areas?
(Primary use Google maps & curently not into SIMs cards)

Greatful for any help, thanks!
by Adarnim  

Re: Budget Pocket Wifi Kyushu & rural places 2019/6/4 18:16
If you are on a tight budget. Dont get a pocket wifi. Just used the hotels wifi every night.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Budget Pocket Wifi Kyushu & rural places 2019/6/4 18:30
I get it that you want Internet on the go. But why did you exclude SIM cards? As far as I know they are cheaper. And you should limit your on-the-go internet use and use hotel wifi and some public wifis (e.g. 7/11) as much as possible to limit the amount you use.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Budget Pocket Wifi Kyushu & rural places 2019/6/4 19:10

My phone isn't compatible for changing sim.

Need Google maps as 'homing device' in rural areas... (I learnt my last time I time I was in Japan.)
by Adarnim rate this post as useful

Re: Budget Pocket Wifi Kyushu & rural places 2019/6/4 22:47
https://www.gmobile.biz/softbank/inbound/

Check above for 2 month rental. With 51 days of use, the price come out to about 235 yen per day. I used them on 3 past trips.
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Budget Pocket Wifi Kyushu & rural places 2019/6/5 06:40

Hi O92 (guest),

Looks like a very good contender!
Have you (or anyone else) used it rural / remote parts of Japan / Kyushu & if so how well did it perform?
(Sorry, just this is where I will need it most)

Thanks ^w^"
by Adarnim rate this post as useful

Re: Budget Pocket Wifi Kyushu & rural places 2019/6/5 07:42
If you're going to use a MiFi in rural areas, expect many drops in service. These devices convert phone signals and turn them into WiFi. In remote areas, you will not be able to receive phone signals and the device will not allow your phone to connect. I've used MiFi in my last 9 trips to Japan and I don't get a signal when I'm in mountainous regions away from major population areas.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread