Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/8 02:09
Hello,

Could you transcript this old kanji phrase about strategy ?

http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=19/23/mjpx.jpg

I have especially some difficulties with the small kanji beside the column...

Thanks
by Belphantom  

Re: Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/8 17:23
The small ones look like pretty standard katakana.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/8 17:45
And could you transcript the column of kanji ?
I have a beginning :
X間者XXXXXXXXXXXXXX諜XXXXX細作游偵XX行人XXX掠士
- XXXX
- XXXX
For the small kanji, I don't speak about the katakana, but the two series with the derivatives lines.
by Belphantom rate this post as useful

Re: Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/8 18:11
This phrase in your photo is originally written in classical Chinese.

For Japanese-speaking learners
to read classical Chinese writing [ 漢文 ],
small marks (to specify the Japanese order of words)
and small katakana characters (to introduce the Japanese reading)
are added.

How to read this classical Chinese phrase in modern Japanese
may not give you a clue to understand the meaning of the original phrase.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/8 18:32
Could you try all the same a transcription ?

Re: Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/8 18:33
this is so called as 漢文, kan-bun. you can learn in senior high schools in Japan.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?biw=1023&bih=369&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=YXb7...

I think those are real Chinese words and sentences ( or written as Chinese by old Japanese) and the marks under the Chinese letters are symbols which explain how to read Chinese sentences in Japanese with giving the meanings in Japanese.
レ means, when you read it, read the letters reversely.
一, 二, show the order of reading.
ハ テ ノ, katakana, are suffixes when you read the letters.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/10 16:48
Well, what are you thinking about that ?

曰間者因其所指 其所用異其名左传謂之諜杜預曰謂之细作游偵一之行人又云 X(枚?)掠士
- 军中反間
- 探伺晋X(代?)

Re: Transcript an old kanji phrase 2019/6/11 22:34
I think what embarrasses you are the strange symbols and some kanji-like letters, and you seem not to be interested in these elements in this text. What you want to know is surely the pure sentences of kanji letters without these strange symbols.
About these symbols, other comments have already mentioned, these are the auxiliary means in order to read Chinese classic texts which are totally different grammatically and syntactically from Japanese.
See this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanbun

So, what I can help you is the reconstruction of the original text of kanji letters.
By the way, this text is apparently an annotation to the original text of Sun Tsu (孫子), which is called The Art of War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

I almost agree with the kanji text you show, except one or two points:
The chapter title is ordinarily as follows:
間第十三 Chapter XIII Use of Spies, or Intelligence and Espionage, and the the following text may be an annotation of some ancient Chinese author (I don’t know who is), and the text you show us may be a manuscript by a Japanese author or scholar in old time added with Japanese auxiliary symbols and katakana characters to make it readable for Japanese readers.(In the use of these symbols, I think I find some ambiguous or obvious errors.)

I frankly admit that some kanji are impossible for me to decipher. My result is as follows. (I used the ordinary kanji 傳(伝) instead of the actual simplified Chinese character 传. I added spaces to make the text easy to see.

曰 間者 因其所指 其所用 異其名 左傳 謂之諜 杜預曰 謂之細作游偵 一之行人 又云枚掠士
左傳 is a famous ancient Chinese book (ordinarily called 春秋左氏伝 しゅんじゅうさしでん in Japanese), therefore, 杜預 may be the name of a book or an author.
I don’t know the word 枚掠, but surely these kanji mean the action of espionage, because 掠 means ordinarily to steal or to act furtively, and it is followed by 士 person.

- 軍中反間 I am not sure this is 軍, but if so it probably means that in army, counter the espinage
- 探伺?代 This ?kanji is not possible for me to decipher either. I guess that 探伺 means to spy and ?代 might mean generation to generation (sleeper).

Anyway, this text of annotation is not interesting. insipid rather, the original Sun Tse text is not only famous but appreciated even today.

I add the pronunciation in my way of the kanbun text.

ようかん だいじゅうさん
いわく、かんじゃは そのさすところ そのもちいるところにより そのなを ことにす。 さでんには これを ちょう といい、 とよが いえり これを さいさくゆうてい という。いつ(ひとつ)に こうじんと、 また
まいりゃくのし という。

ーぐんちゅう はんかん
ーたんし ?だい

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread