Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/9 12:01
Another forum suggested the best option when not using a JR Pass for this route is the Haruka Discount Ticket (with ICOCA card purchase) for 1600 yen one-way.

However, I have just learned of the Special Rapid service on JR Kyoto Line.

Which is the most efficient way to travel to travel to Kyoto from Kansai Airport not using JR Pass?
We arrive KIX approx. 9am, thanks.
by mynus  

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/9 13:39
The Haruka Icoca special is the best way to get from KIX to JR Kyoto.

Special Rapids are great, but after JR Osaka Station they head west and go to JR Amagasaki Station and continue on towards JR Sannomiya in Kobe. KIX is located south of JR Osaka Station.

If you don't take a Haruka with the special discounted ticket you're looking at paying 1700-1800 yen by taking either: the JR Kansai Rapid Service to JR Osaka and then changing there and for the JR Special Rapid to JR Kyoto Station or taking the Nankai Private line to either Namba to transfer to the Midousuji line to Shin-Osaka and then take the JR Special Rapid from JR Shin-Osaka Station to JR Kyoto Station OR take the Nankai line to Shin-Imamiya, transfer there for the JR Osaka Loop Line to JR Osaka Station and change there for the JR Special Rapid to JR Kyoto.

If you're staying near one of the Hankyu line stations you can drop it down to 1600 yen, making it slightly cheaper than JR since you would need to pay to get from JR Kyoto to where you are staying, but you'd also be looking at quite a few transfers from KIX to get there, more than what you would have if you just take the subway up from JR Kyoto Station 2 stops to Shijo/Karasuma Station. Instead you're looking at 2 transfers and about 15 more minutes of travel time.

If you're near a Keihan station, it's likely to be cheaper to use the Haruka because you could travel to Kyoto, then transfer at Tofukuji all on the JR ticket and then just need to pay out of pocket for Tofukuji to your Keihan Station. Otherwise it's 2000 yen. You will have 2 transfers regardless, but you could again look at taxi costs since you're already in Kyoto.

I would probably just use the Haruka regardless. The Special Rapids and the Osaka subways can be very crowded and I would not want to do them with luggage. By the time you get to Kyoto, the subway should be less busy or you can just pay a little more and take a cab.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/10 10:55
Thank you for taking the time with your response.

In that case we will use Haruka Discount ticket. Is it direct to Kyoto, do we arrive at Kyoto Station?
Thanks
by mynus rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/10 12:14
Hi!

If you take a Haruka going to Kyoto, it will go to Kyoto Station without any transfers. There will be other stops like Tennoji, Osaka, and Shin-Osaka Station, but if it's a Kyoto bound train it will go to Kyoto Station and probably end there. From there it will depend on where you are going in Kyoto what you should do next. I'm actually staying near Kyoto Station my next trip so I could just walk.

Good luck!

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/10 12:25
Great, thanks.
Our hotel is in the Kawaramachi area, but check in isn't until 3pm
Our flight is scheduled to arrive at KIX at 9am.
Would you have any suggestions for what we can do on arrival day?

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/11 01:06
Hi

Kawaramachi is on the Hankyuu line and is also a short walk from Gion-Shijo Station.

You have a lot of options of what do based on how alert you feel.

I never arrive in Kyoto early, but you would have the option to use this service:
http://welcome-to-kyoto.com/luggage-delivery/

For 750 yen your bags will be transported from Kyoto Station to your hotel same day as long as they dropped off by 14:00. It's a great deal.

Depending on your interests you could:
Check out temples near Kyoto Station since you're already there like Toji or Nishi Hoganji or Higashi-Hoganji. You could walk or take a bus to Sanjusangendo.

Take the JR Nara line to Tofukuji Station and visit Tofukuji (when you're done just take the Keihan line to Gion-Shijo and walk to your hotel it should be under 10 minutes, You can see on Google Maps how close Gion-Shijo and Kawaramachi are.)

Take the JR Nara line to Tofukuji and transfer to the Keihan line and go to Gion-Shijo near your hotel and visit Yasaka jinja and Kodaiji, or just walk around, there are some scenic back streets or shop in Kawaramachi.

There are even more options, it's all about what you want to do. But I would recommend either forwarding your luggage from Kyoto Station or going to your hotel to drop off bags first depending on what you want to do.

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/11 08:00
Will look into luggage-delivery from Kyoto Station, thank you & for local suggestions.
We have not travelled to Japan before and are a little worried about using the trains. You seem to have an understanding/knowledge like a local. Do you have a suggestion for best website or app to use for getting around Kyoto using trains, either something we can look at beforehand, or an app to get once we arrive. We are in Australia. Many thanks.

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/11 08:06
Do you have a suggestion for best website or app to use for getting around Kyoto using trains, either something we can look at beforehand, or an app to get once we arrive.

Arukumachikyoto, definitely. You can find it easily on App Store or Google Play.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Airport (KIX) to Kyoto 2019/6/11 09:03
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Re: new thread 2019/7/9 15:25
Dear neriangela:

You are expected to create a new thread for your questions.
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quenew.html

From the guidelines shown below the reply text box:
"Unless you are the original poster of the thread, do not append your own questions to an existing thread. Create a new thread instead."
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread