Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling in Japan with stroller 2019/6/12 18:30
Hello . we are planning to go to tokyo and osaka with our 2 child. (1yr and 4yr) we will bring 2 strollers with us ( https://www.qhousekids.com/oxotot?collectionname=391 ) is it any lift in tokyo station? any advise?
is it easy to take our child go around japan with public transportation and restaurant with 2 strollers.Our main destination will be tokyo disneyland, and mt fuji. please advise us any information about travelling in japan with strollers.? Thanks in advance

by Rachel (guest)  

Re: Travelling in Japan with stroller 2019/6/13 10:01
Hi Rachel,

I think two strollers the size you are considering could be problematic on some public transit and definitely in some shops with smaller aisles. I can't imagine trying to bring them on one of the local buses in Kawaguchiko. They look quite large, even folded. You'll be fine in Tokyo Disney, though they do have strollers you can rent for the day there. If it were me, I would wear my 1 year old and make my 4 year old walk and when they were tired take a break. For Tokyo Disney, I would rent strollers there.

Some stations have elevators, some have escalators and there are stations that have neither still. Sometimes finding the elevator can take some searching or will have you walking further to use a specific exit and entrance. I know there are plenty of elevators to go up from the NEX at Tokyo Station and there are elevators with the shinkansen lines though not always convenient to your specific car.

I wasn't sure how my then 5 year old would handle walking around Japan. I do not regret that we didn't bring a stroller.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling in Japan with stroller 2019/6/13 16:02
You might experience inconvenience when using a stroller on your commute especially on rush hours. Another problem that I see is that some restaurants isle are small to take the stroller in but you won't have a problem with this if it's a family restaurant. I'm pertaining to your typical ramen and sushi shop.
by explorace27 rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling in Japan with stroller 2019/6/13 16:24
Japan generally isn't stroller friendly. Lots of stairs. Temple have heaps of stones/rocks etc. Lifts in shopping centres and stations will help. But everywhere else will be a pain.

I would let the 4yo walk and put the 1yo in a chest/back sling/carrier. Plus this frees up one hand per adult to pull the luggage along.

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling in Japan with stroller 2019/6/13 21:43
Two small ones will be a handful anywhere, but as said above Japanfs not immensely stroller-friendly.
When we went with our child at 4, she used a micro scooter with some success, and was able to do long days and/or keep up with an adult pace when walking. In crowds, we used a gleadh (strap) on the scooter which helped to keep her by our side, and was also good for very long walks as we could tow her a bit when she got tired. For bushfs and trains, we took the scooter apart and popped it in a bag so it didnft get in the way.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread