Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 08:11
Hi all,

Ifve recently made the rescission that I want to move to Japan for a period of time. I have started Japanese lessons and Ifm picking the language up quite well.

But where to start?

I have worked my way into senior retail management and recently acquired a national management role so ideally I would like to stay in this profession as it has been a longggggg climb.

Where do I start? Is there anyone I should contact in Japan?

Sorry for the million questions I just want as much advice and direction as possible!
by Lukejohnn  

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 10:49
First you need a company in Japan who is willing to sponsor you.
It is not only about the language but also about the skills you have to offer and your status with Japan.
Even a person who does not speak Japanese but offers high demand skill can enter a company.

What are your current connections with Japan?
Did you ever worked in Japan?
Do you want to work in International environment (Expat)?
Do you want to work in a Japanese environment (language)?
What do you have to offer against all other who are trying to find work?

Most foreigners working in Japan are expats, teachers, IT employees which requires a certain degree and experience.
Another field is factory workers but these are done by workers who are cheap to get and there is no sponsorship possible just trainee ship.

Just finding work is difficult since you may not have the visa and companies are only willing to sponsor employees who can contribute for the company.

And to be honest the skills senior retail management or national management role are not on high demanding since there are enough people in Japan who can full fill those roles.

If you search for a Japan company than you will start on the bottom line of the company.
It does not matter how your skill is, you need to proof your self.

If you are expat than you can request a transfer or support from your company.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 11:51
I am currently living in Australia but would love to move over to Japan for at least a 12 month period.

I donft have a degree as I went straight into the workforce to earn money for myself.

If I was to ask my company for a transfer to Japan and they were able to find me a job available what visa would I need to acquire?
by Lukejohnn rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 13:13
I donft have a degree as I went straight into the workforce to earn money for myself.
This is one of your main stumbling block in obtaining 'visa' to work in Japan.
Have a look at the normal visa option and weight your option from there..
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/japan101/visas-and-status-of-residence/

If I was to ask my company for a transfer to Japan and they were able to find me a job available
Then you'll be looking at intra-company transferee visa. If your current company have branch or affiliate in Japan.
http://www.japanvisa.com/visas/japan-intra-company-transferee-visa

Another route will be, based on your profile, your age makes you eligible for 'Working Holiday Visa' (upto 1 year) , which may give you some exposure/experience living in Japan while searching/working some job. You'll need to fulfill certain requirements.
Due note that this WHV is solely purpose for long term holiday, not for those who mainly intend to work or study in Japan. Though many people seems to abuse it. The Japanese authority are getting stricter on this.
Possibility of getting job offer and visa sponsorship, which then enable you to extend your stay. However, you will still need to satisfy immigration requirement for 'proper working visa'.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 13:29
So if I was to obtain a WHV how many hour a week would I be able to work? What type of job would I be looking at? Bartender, Barista?

I work for a well known luxury label and was hoping if I had the conversation with them they would help me transfer to a location in Japan for a period of time.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 14:40
Learn how to adult.
Read the link given, and google it when possible.
Come again with better question.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 15:13
I donft get what this has to do with the question I have asked.

This is something I have never done before nor do I know anyone that has moved to Japan hence why Ifm asking the advice and opinions of others.

So in future donft answer my questions with your lacking personality. Learn how to behave like an ADULT.

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 16:01
All the requirements of WHV are mentioned here

https://www.au.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_workingholiday_en.html
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 16:50
Thank you!

Re: Working in Japan - Please help! 2019/6/13 17:29
You do sound like an adult, NOT!
You were given a professional response. You not accepting it for what it is, is not our problem.

Japan is not Australia, or any western country for that matter.
Seniority and education trump any and all experience you might think you have.

Unless you transfer inside your company to Japan (and even then): your experience will be 0, your education will be 0.

Hence WHV is your best option: you get the "Japan" experience, work bars or as a JET and can enjoy a 12m vacation. Cheers!
by alling123 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread