Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Clarification on taxes when leaving Japan 2019/6/14 00:59
I have already left Japan at the end of April 2019 and now I have a question on taxes. I had applied for nenkin and assigned my friend to be my tax representative for tax refund. Yesterday, my friend received a post (municipal tax payment which is to be paid 4 times). I wonder if the resident tax and municipal tax is the same as before I left, my employer would deal with the resident tax.
by Black Joker  

Re: Clarification on taxes when leaving Japan 2019/6/14 11:30
Also for the municipal tax, I left at the end of April 2019 and I will have to pay the tax entire year of 2019. But will I get the tax return for the rest of months that I no longer stay in Japan sometimes later?
by Black Joker rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification on taxes when leaving Japan 2019/6/14 14:34
As far as I know you donft get a refund, because you did not pay the first year you were in Japan. So essentially you are now paying for last year. Itfs a bit of a strange system, because had you left in December last year, you would have paid only for last year (full) but nothing for this year.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification on taxes when leaving Japan 2019/6/14 18:10
Just pay what they issue you, usually the dont ask dont tell policy works pretty well.
by bluesky3000 rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification on taxes when leaving Japan 2019/6/15 11:30
Did you actually properly advise your local city hall your change of residence and you would no longer be resident. Sounds like you missed some steps in the notifications you were responsible for.
When moving from one city to the other, the local taxes only apply for the time you are actually in that city. If the city has issued you a bill for the next year, obviously they think you are still there.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification on taxes when leaving Japan 2019/6/15 12:58
Nope, I went to the local city hall and requested for the moving out form (leaving Japan) and filled out the form. They had also punched hole my number card. I don't think I had missed any of the steps.
by Black Joker rate this post as useful

Re: Clarification on taxes when leaving Japan 2019/6/15 18:02
If the city has issued you a bill for the next year, obviously they think you are still there.

The city hasnft issued a bill for NEXT year but for THIS year. The OP moved out of Japan in April this year, which makes him/her liable to pay the complete taxes of 2019. He/she tough didnft pay in his/her first year. Thatfs just how the Japanese tax system works.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread