Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

annual tax 2019/6/25 17:49
I started working for this company agust 1, 2018.
I will quit my job next july 31.
It will become a year since i am working there.
So I have to pay annual tax.
I wonder how much is th annual tax?
My salary is around 150000yens and it's part-time job, so Sometimes i get less Sometimes I get more.
Please post if anyone knows:)
by heyo (guest)  

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 14:39
Since you say itfs part-time work, I assume your employer has not provided you with tax withholding (employers for full-time employees often deduct the estimated income tax from your pay before paying you – and then do year-end adjustment) or anything? If they did, you should get a statement about that.

For those jobs where the employer do not do the tax withholding, the employees have to file for income tax in mid-Feb to mid-March time frame, IF their salary received in the past calendar year exceeds a certain level.

Income tax is based on your income for the past calendar year. So during the calendar year 2018, you worked for five months, so maybe your total paycheck received was around 750,000 – 800,000 yen? For that amount, you did not have to do any tax filing for 2018.
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 15:39
Actually the company I am working deduct tax, pension and health insurance from my salary.
It's around 28000yens every month.
But Yesterday i wrote resignation documents and the manager explained to me that I had to pay yearly tax.
He said soon it gonna be one year I am working for them.
I can choose that the tax will be deducted from my next salary, or pay it on my own
He recommended to pay on my own cuz my salary gonna get very low, it's better to pay later.
I have no idea :(
If they already took money from my salary every month for tax, why should i pay again?
or is there any other tax? Maybe for foreigners?
by heyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 15:56
If they have been deducting tax, then they should have given you a paper stating your total pay and all the income tax and other deductions theyfve made, to give you the details. And if needed you can show to tax office how much you have paid already.

Also when you leave your employer, they must give you a similar statement for this year – meaning January to July, so that once again you can show to the tax office how much tax youfve paid. And if you find a new employer, the new one can add your Jan. – July income together with the (if you find a new one) their Aug. – Dec. pay to you and do year-end adjustments.

Your current employer cannot know how much more you are going to make for the whole year until that time comes around, so somewhere someone needs to do some adjustments. But until then you need to get all the statements, so that you pay what you need to pay (and no more, no less).
They is no foreigner tax.

by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 16:26
there are two taxes, national (governmental) tax and resident tax (city tax).

"I can choose that the tax will be deducted from my next salary, or pay it on my own "
that is a story for resident tax of 2019. you have to pay the full amount, even when you have no income after quitting the job.
you can choose either one, pay it (A) by yourself or (B) from your last salary or (C) through your next employer.
generally speaking, it is easier and convenient for you to choose (B), and you don't need to make any actions.
when you already have found the next employer, you can choose (C). (but, the next employer must take some paperwork. they often say No.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 16:59
The company never gave me any documents...
but last december they told me i will probably get tax returns,I got around 10000yens.
which means my tax is payed?

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 17:37
yes, you paid income tax of 2018. you received 10000 yen which was over-paid in 2018. each company has an obligation for adjustment of income tax of (all) employees who are in the end of the year.
please think about two taxes, income tax and resident tax, independently.
I think you got a document,@򒥎[, with salary slip of Dec, Jan, or Feb.

your income tax of 2018 was fixed and paid already.
your income tax of 2019 keeps going (not fixed). you have to file it in Feb and March in 2020.
your resident tax of 2019 is fixed, but,not yet paid fully. you have to pay it.

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 17:38
oh i see! so there is 2 taxes.
I now rememeber I received a letter, I just opened now and it says tax will be deducted on my june 14 salary.
My salary is every 14 of the month, but i didn't notice any deduction from june's salary.
Also if anyone have idea how much I should pay?
My salary is around 150000yens.
by Heyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 17:45
look at your June's slip. you can find the word Z.
that amount is approximate one month payment. multiply 12 times. you need to pay that amount in total.

Re: annual tax 2019/6/26 20:00
I could find the word Z on my payslip, the number payed is 0 which means not payed...
Do you mean the amount to pay is around one month salary??

Re: annual tax 2019/6/27 18:04
Really no idea how much I should pay TT

Re: annual tax 2019/6/28 08:15
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: annual tax 2019/7/1 06:14
Thank you for replies :)

reply to this thread