Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ramen without pork 2019/6/25 22:12
Hi,
how realistic is to try and find ramen without pork (also in the broth) in Japan?

Maybe a stupid question,but we dont eat pork and trying to see if Ramen is an option for us at all :)

Thank you!
by SashaG  

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/6/25 23:24
It's a bit tricky - even places that use a mainly seafood- or chicken-based broth might still use a bit of pork somewhere. It's like going to a sushi restaurant if you don't eat fish - it's possible, but it's also missing the point.

There are a couple dozen great Japanese cuisines that you can explore - tempura, yakitori, sashimi, grilled beef, curry rice, etc. - where you'll have a lot more freedom to pick and choose the best of that cuisine without worrying.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/6/25 23:43
Try Google "Japan halal ramen" and will get some suggestions
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/6/26 00:55
Hi!

T's Tan Tan Ramen in Tokyo Station. I believe they also have a branch in Ueno and one in Sendai. It's vegan so no pork in it at all. There are plenty of other vegan ramen options elsewhere in Japan. Some serve other types of meat, some are in vegan or mostly vegan restaurants. I'd just go through Happy Cow and look. We tried vegan ramen at two different places in Kyoto just in the last week. One was at the Vege Deli in the basement level of Kyoto Tower (we didn't like it, it has a weird taste) and one was a soy milk based one at Vegans Cafe not far from Fushimi Inari. I liked that one, my kid did not. It was very heavy and filling.

Just check out HappyCow.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/6/26 03:17
Another option is Kyushu Jangara (Jungle) Ramen, which has a few locations in Tokyo. They have a vegan option that even includes a slice of fake grilled pork. So you can replicate the experience pretty well!

I love Tfs but I also loved this enough to go here twice when I was last in Tokyo, and felt that it was a more authentic ramen counter experience over the health-centric Tfs.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/6/27 19:17
As suggested, with more Muslims and vegans touring Japan, ramen without pork is becoming increasingly common. Among my favorite ramen, including ones with pork, is the all-vege ramen served at Komurasaki in Ramen Museum. I'm not even vegetarian and this "tonkotsu" style vege ramen is amazingly satisfying. I order it all the time, and I'm surprised they don't have it on their official website.
http://komurasaki.com/index.php
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/7/1 12:23
I recently found this video about a ramen place in Kyoto which only uses fish in the broth, no pork or other meat:

https://youtu.be/1oZeD32jy9o
by Josh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/7/1 18:38
thanks for replies, everyone!
by SashaG rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen without pork 2019/7/9 00:29
I'd love to hear how it eventually goes once you've tried the Pork Free Ramen
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread