Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say “Greetings to your family” 2019/7/4 03:02
I’m writing a birthday card to my japanese host mother from last year and at the end I wanted to say something like “greetings to your family as well!” or “I hope you and your family are all doing well.” or something like that.
But I don’t really know how to say that in a quite natural way.
( Also, my host mother speaks English so it’s fine if it’s not a 100% naturally sounding sentence, she will still understand what i’m trying to say. )
by nele 11  

I think wishing good health is a nice greeting: 2019/7/4 14:37
ご健勝をお祈りします (ごけんしょうをおいのりします)
It literally means "I am pray
by NinaPan rate this post as useful

I think wishing good health is a nice greeting: 2019/7/4 14:39
ご健勝をお祈りします
(ごけんしょうをおいのりします)
Go-kenshou o oinorishimasu
It literally means "I am praying for/wishing for your (good) health (wellness)"

Re: How to say “Greetings to your family” 2019/7/4 16:13
@nina:
i am not op, but just for my curiosity: is this phrase only used in written conversation or can i tell it also to someone orally?
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: How to say “Greetings to your family” 2019/7/4 16:56
Is it possible to say it, yes, but it might sound stiff. If you want a greeting to say then it might be cliche, but "genki" is common and best way to go. A good phrase is:
お元気でいらっしゃいますか。
O-genki de irasshaimasu ka?

Re: How to say “Greetings to your family” 2019/7/4 17:03
ご健勝… is for written letters, and is very formal.

The OP says he wants to write it at the “end” of the letter – so putting a question at the end might not quite flow right.

I would suggest something like:
ご家族の皆さんも、お元気でいらっしゃいますように。(I hope that everyone in your family is doing well.) 私からよろしくお伝えください。(Please send my best regards to them.)

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to say “Greetings to your family” 2019/7/4 17:06
You are writing to your host mother but want to make sure your message is forwarded to the whole host family, am I right?

If so, just add "minasan" (meaning "everyone on your side") at the top of whatever you want to say to them.

Examples:

みなさんのご健勝をお祈りします

みなさん、お元気でいらっしゃいますか。

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to say “Greetings to your family” 2019/7/4 17:07
Another phrase for writing could be:
皆さま、お変わりないことと存じます。
Minnasama, okawari nai kototo zonjimasu.
It is hard to translate to English well, but it is telling her "I hope your family does not have a hard time" or "I hope your family stays well/is well"

Re: How to say “Greetings to your family” 2019/7/8 05:50
Thank you very much!
by nele 11 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread