Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumano Kodo walk 2019/7/6 03:15
Hi Everyone,

We are visiting Japan in August for our honeymoon and will be visiting for 16 days.
We will be visiting Kyoto and Osaka whilst we are there and have 2 nights/3 days free after Osaka before we head back to Tokyo and have been looking at the Wakayama, Kumano Kodo area.
We have had a look at the website, but there is SO much information on there it is a little confusing as to where to start!
My main questions are:

1) Would 3 days/2 nights be enough to see this region and do some hiking along the trail? (Factoring in travel time from Osaka to the region, and the getting back to Tokyo after?)

2) Which would be the main town/route we should look at doing for the most scenic parts?

Thanks,

Rachel
by RachelS89  

Re: Kumano Kodo walk 2019/7/6 15:51
Yes, you could have a brief introduction to the Kumano Kodo. I spent 4 days/3 nights there last April, which I felt was just enough time, and did day hikes to the three main shrines. Here is my rough itinerary:

Day 1: Train from Wakayama to Kii-Tanabe. Morning in Kii-Tanabe, then bus to Kawayu Onsen. Overnight in Kawayu Onsen.

Day 2: Bus to Hosshinmonoji. Hike to Hongu Taisha. Hike to Yunomine Onsen via Oyunohara and Dainichi-goe. Overnight in Yunomine Onsen.

Day 3: Bus to boat tour centre for boat ride down Kumano river. Short walk to Hayatama Taisha. Walk/hike to Kamikura-jinja/Gotobiki. Train from Shingu to Kii-Katsuura. Overnight in Kii-Katsuura.

Day 4: Bus to Daimonzaka. Hike up Daimonzaka to Nachi Falls. Bus to Kii-Katsuura, then train to Nagoya.

I booked this based on a suggested itinerary from Kumano Travel: https://www.kumano-travel.com/en
It is a fantastic website full of great ideas, and you can directly book the suggested itineraries. There are lots of options for accommodation, and you can book luggage transport (I left my luggage at the previous ryokan each day, and it was at my next one when I arrived) and lunch boxes (delivered to the ryokan in time for pick-up at breakfast). It made the trip so easy!

However, I would think twice about doing this in August. It will likely be very hot and not particularly comfortable for hiking. As such, if you were to do any parts of the trail, I'd recommend the walk from Hosshinmonoji to Hongu Taisha - it is mostly flat, and the majority of the walk is shaded by forest so you hopefully won't get too much heat from the sun. I would then recommend taking a bus to Yunomine Onsen - it was my favourite location on the trip, and has a special World Heritage private onsen over the river! I wouldn't do the walk via Dainichi-goe as it is very steep and would be extremely tiring in the heat! The boat ride was really beautiful, but there was no shade at all on the river, so take note of that.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread