Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/12 19:09
I am a new travel writer that was born disabled, I use a crutch to walk but for longer distances I use a wheelchair. I am trying to show how accessible the places I travel to so I would like to know how accessible Japan is and how many disabled people actually live there? Thank you.
by superanimegal91391  

Re: How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/13 11:12
Read this article, if you have not already: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2301.html

Accessibility in Japan is improving, but not as accessible as in the US. If using crutches, you need to be very careful during rush hours, people might accidentally run into you or kick your crutches. It is that crowded and people are really in rush, in cities.

by Ginger (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/13 11:44
Quite a lot of info here https://www.accessible-japan.com/
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/13 11:50
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/13 22:04
I think that everything in the larger cities or close to trainbstations is quite accessible but you will need your wheelchair. Distances in the underground metro stations can be quite a stretch when walking and even more so if you are depending on elevators, which usually require a detour to get to.
by WJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/14 01:11
I suffered an injury on holiday in Japan and spent a couple of weeks there with a fracture and a walking stick.

Beware the pavements. Some are just painted on and so you are basically using the road. The frequent rebuilds have left what pavements there are in a fairly poor state, with lots of levels to negotiate, so if you are not paying attention, it can be uncomfortably jarring.

Lifts are common, but in older buildings they can be quite small. I've been in plenty that you wouldn't get a wheelchair in, but modern buildings and modern hotels should be OK.

Note that in a disaster the advice is for people to not use the lifts.

Accessibility is being advocated in the run-up to the Olympics and Paralympics, but it is far from universal. AirBnB descriptions can incorporate good disability access info. Hotels can be more of a mixed bag.

Stations are very well staffed and many have lifts, although navigating some of the complex ones in a wheelchair isn't for the faint-hearted as you will be lower-down and they can be very busy. There will always be staff to help.

Culturally, accept help politely in Japan. Getting angry because they are not geared up for accessibility is not culturally appropriate and it won't help. Japan runs on politeness.

Most Japanese holidays involve a *lot* of walking as everyone uses the trains to get about. There are also lots of flights of steps and escalators to negotiate. I would suggest walking using your stick and using trains & escalators, filling in with taxis between locations.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/14 08:56
Many places have very good accessibility, but many do not. Tokyo publishes a good accessible tourism guide book with 30 different areas/courses people can follow. One of my friends here in Tokyo used to work in rehabilitation and would organise wheelchair outings for their users. It is possible, but what you can do can get limited.
What I have seen in travelling around the country is quite mixed. That ranges from the dozen wheel-chair tourists in the mountain town of Takayama, to people struggling pushing wheelchairs through deep gravel. There are some places that really are not suitable due to steps, tree roots/uneven surfaces or where you can only see part of the place (Kinkakuji is wheelchair accessible, but you either return out the entrance or have to walk/climb steps.) Todaiji in Nara is pretty good with their ramps, but sometimes getting through the crowds can be hard.
Having a support person would be pretty important in many cases.
As for Japanese people getting around - they certainly do - motorised wheelchairs around town, on the trains, for buildings - certainly easier/better in the bigger cities.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How accessible is Japan? 2019/7/14 14:50
So much depends on where you go.
Bigger and more modern rail stations & airports have elevators. But the further away you go, the bigger the chance you will have difficulty. In some cases, taking a taxi makes more sense then a bus or train, but they can get expensive, and you'd need a wheelchair that can be collapsed.
Many temples do indeed have gravel grounds, which impede mobility.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread