Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/14 18:29
Hi, i have been trying for a long time to complete requirements in order to apply to english computer science programs in Japanese Universities more specific Aizu University and Kyushu University but there is always one requirement that gets in the way which is the ''Standarised Test Scores''. I looked in to these tests and not only they are focused on high school students (i am already 24 years old with another bachelors degree) but they do not even exist in my country, they are heavily american-based tests such as SAT. I am not sure what to do anymore since i am not a high school student to waste more time for yearly programs like IB and GCE but also these programs and ''tests'' do not exist here. Most of them that i see are basically proof that you finished high school which i already did long ago and it is very confusing now having to do that for Japanese universities when neither in Europe nor USA universities does it ask me to do that.

http://www.kyushu-u.ac.jp/f/34663/Engineering.pdf
https://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/files/page/others/enh31.ictglobal.pdf

by Thorfinn (guest)  

Re: Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/14 19:35
What is the question? (Whatever it is, you should probably ask the schools, not us.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/15 01:53
Send them an email and explain it to them. In all honesty, that's your best bet right now, as Japanese universities take stanzdardized test reports for foreign applicants seriously.
by anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/15 10:58
Why are you wanting to do a computer science course in Japan (and an English one)? Why not do that in a country where it is easier or even where English is the default language.
In any event, what you might need to be looking into is qualification equivalency - most countries have that, and as you are post-graduate things relating to high school are largely irrelevant. Seems that if you are still messing around with proving you finished high-school and test scores you have taken the wrong approach and should be talking with someone sensible at the university. (I don't have any standardised scores I could show anyone, but a couple of university degrees certainly helps in places.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/15 16:29
A majority of universities in the states take standardized test reports (especially SAT) seriously, some parts of Europe as well\your claim is not only irrelevant but false on top.

However, I see where youfre coming from with wanting to study a computer major in japan due to its high demand. Unlike JapanForum I donft think itfs a bad idea, but do agree with his statement regarding high school. Youfve already graduated from high school and are currently attending a university, please remember that. Therefore, I believe it is unlikely that high school requirements still apply to you (at least a majority of them).

Just check MEXTfs website. They have all requirements listed there for high school graduates all the way to people wanting to study without a high school certificate. Ifm pretty sure requirements applicable to your situation can be found on their website. Aside of that, why donft you just email the universities? I know people have been saying this, but itfs what Ifd do the minute Ifve got questions or donft understand something.
by anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/15 16:35
A majority of universities in the states take standardized test reports (especially SAT) seriously, some parts of Europe as well\your claim is not only irrelevant but false on top.

However, I see where youfre coming from with wanting to study a computer major in japan due to its high demand. Unlike JapanForum I donft think itfs a bad idea, but do agree with his statement regarding high school. Youfve already graduated from high school and are currently attending a university, please remember that. Therefore, I believe it is unlikely that high school requirements still apply to you (at least a majority of them).

Just check MEXTfs website. They have all requirements listed there for high school graduates all the way to people wanting to study without a high school certificate. Ifm pretty sure requirements applicable to your situation can be found on their website. Aside of that, why donft you just email the universities? I know people have been saying this, but itfs what Ifd do the minute Ifve got questions or donft understand something.
by anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/15 17:05
@anonymous (guest) Sadly i have already tried emailing both universities myself but for some reason when i state exactly this issue they immediately go silent and don't answer anything regarding this, they only answer when i ask for other things (such as when i had to ask for IELTS some months ago) but for the standarised tests they never reply not sure why.
by Thorfinn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Issues with Standarised Tests for Japan? 2019/7/15 20:13
Email is not the only way to contact people. Make a phone call.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread