Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

toy store 2019/7/16 17:45
Hi all

Please can You recommend me any toy store (My son favorit toys are trains , specialy lego trains :))
I would like to buy something special from japan :)

Thank You

Brano
by bdobrotka  

Re: toy store 2019/7/17 16:06
Which cities are you going to visit?

If it is trains you are after, Ifd go to the museum shop of one of the many railway museums. Eg in Nagoya or Kyoto.

But actually you can find a lot of railway themed toys at other stations as well. It seems that most private train companies produce their own miniature trains and merchandise.

You can also find easily railway themed lunch boxes, sweets, cakes...

Japanese after all are crazy for trains.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: toy store 2019/7/17 20:25
Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara (and probably many other locations as well, but Ifve only ever shopped for childrenfs toys at that one) has heaps of trains.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: toy store 2019/7/17 20:42
Hi!

I don't know what Lego prices are like in your home country, but I know Lego sets in Japan are more expensive than Lego sets here in the USA by quite a bit. I also didn't see any exclusive to Japan sets. We actually looked specifically at Lego sets about a month ago. (At the Kyoto Toys R Us which tends to be slightly discounted.) I know there is some sort of new Lego theme park near Nagoya (I saw signs for it on the Kintetsu line) and there is some sort of large Lego shop or something in Toyosu.

While not the greatest selection, I just bought my nephews a few toy trains from the Takashimaya in Nihombashi near Tokyo Station. Takashimaya will wrap your purchases in gift wrap. For me, that is a real plus. They are also tax-free and I think foreigners an additional discount for purchases over 3000 yen.

Other places with toys are Hakuhinkan Toy Park (Main branch Tokyo near Shimbashi Station), Yamashiroya (main branch near Ueno Station in Tokyo), and Kiddyland (main branch near Harajuku Station in Tokyo). I personally think Kiddyland has a lot more character and plush toys and it seems meant more to appeal to teens and young adults vs. actual kids. Hakuhinkan is a good all around toy store. Japan also has Toys R Us still and there is one near Kyoto Station and a huge one in Sunshine City in Ikebukuro. A lot depends on the age of your son where the best train toys might be found. There are some train sets that are very obviously meant for children 9+ while others are definitely geared towards young children.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: toy store 2019/7/17 23:31
Iknow there is some sort of new Lego theme park near Nagoya (I saw signs for it on the Kintetsu line)
Yes, it is right besides the railway museum in Nagoya. And some of the trains going there are LEGO themed:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/10/day-37-ise-through-nago...

From your original post I kind of assume that your son is not traveling with you. But if he is, with his interests you should spend some time in Nagoya!

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: toy store 2019/7/18 05:16
Thank You for helpful answers .. Excuse me , I forgot to say that I'm looking it in Tokyo
but again Thank You
by bdobrotka rate this post as useful

Re: toy store 2019/7/18 05:31
Hi!

Toyosu is just outside of Central Tokyo. You can get there via the Yurakucho subway line or the Yurikamome line, though unless you're on Odaiba it makes more sense to use the Yurakucho line.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: toy store 2019/7/19 12:33
There are several train and subway museums in the Tokyo area that are popular with young train enthusiasts, and they're all pretty much guaranteed to have something unique to Japan in their extensive gift shops: https://whereintokyo.com/dbinx/kids.html#tech

If you want to hunt around for Lego goods, there are several Lego Stores and Clickbrick shops in Tokyo, including at Tokyo Station (and the above-mentioned Toyosu), and if you do a search you can figure out which ones are easiest to get to. There's a Lego Discovery Center in Odaiba but I'm not sure that their shop is any bigger than the various stand-alone shops.

Other than that, Hakuhinkan (mentioned above) is a well-stocked, high-end shop. And there are branches of Toys 'R' Us all over town, including in some that are very close to Lego Stores.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread