Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Aomori vs. Asahikawa 2019/7/17 13:37
If you had to choose... would you rather spend 4 days visiting (in January)

Option 1: Asahikawa/Furano/Biei
Option 2: Aomori/Hirosaki/Hachimantai

Also, is it possible to see Furano/Biei as two separate day trips from Sapporo?

Thanks!
by MF4927  

Re: Aomori vs. Asahikawa 2019/7/17 15:40
I would prefer Aomori/Hirosaki/Hachimantai (due to better onsen) :-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Aomori vs. Asahikawa 2019/7/17 15:48
For Hachimantai have you checked how to get there in the middle of winter? Itfs a region quite hard to reach even at peak touristic times. So must be much harder in winter.

Do you plan skiing in any of the destinations? Hachimantai? Furano?

Regarding doing abiding and Furano as two SEPARATE daytrips. Well doable yes, but why would you do something like that. Furano -Biei by train is about 40 min. Furano-Sapporo 2,5 hours. So I guess if you have free accommodation in Sapporo it can make financial sense. If not, ...

Enjoy your winter trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Aomori vs. Asahikawa 2019/7/17 15:48
For Hachimantai have you checked how to get there in the middle of winter? Itfs a region quite hard to reach even at peak touristic times. So must be much harder in winter.

Do you plan skiing in any of the destinations? Hachimantai? Furano?

Regarding doing abiding and Furano as two SEPARATE daytrips. Well doable yes, but why would you do something like that. Furano -Biei by train is about 40 min. Furano-Sapporo 2,5 hours. So I guess if you have free accommodation in Sapporo it can make financial sense. If not, ...

Enjoy your winter trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Aomori vs. Asahikawa 2019/7/17 21:36
I'd easily choose Aomori/Hirosaki/Hachimantai.
But honestly I'd rather not go to any of them in the winter.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Aomori vs. Asahikawa 2019/7/18 09:19
I cannot speak for Aomori as I have never been there (but will go soon) but I visited Asahikawa and Biei regions twice in early January. It really depends on what you are looking for. I am very interested in landscape photography so Biei felt like a winter heaven to me. Vast snow lands with odd tree here and there, no one around, magnificent Blue Pond (illuminated in the winter even though that part gets crowded). I also enjoyed spending the night in Biei - small town with a cozy yakitori place open. The pure white snow makes everything more enjoyable. I wrote some about the experience here https://bizarrejourneys.com/a-different-japan/ and here https://bizarrejourneys.com/hokkaido-in-winter/ - I however did not enjoy Asahikawa as much but was a good hub as it is also served by airport and connected to Biei with a short train ride.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

reply to this thread