Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/22 20:49
I already have 5 full days in Tokyo on a 21 day/20 day itinerary. Instead of spending another 2 days in Tokyo, I am considering traveling to Kanazawa on the earliest train, arriving at around 9am, explore the town and leave the following day. Kenrokuen and good food are my top reasons.

- Catch the earliest Kagayaki train that would arrive at Kanazawa at 8:46 AM
- Explore Higashi Chaya District, Omicho Market
- Spend the night at a ryokan
- Visit Kenrokuen for the sunrise
- Continue exploration
- Return to Tokyo for dinner.
by swirlyeyedsamurai (guest)  

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 08:31
May I ask which season you will be traveling to Kanazawa? The fall and spring are especially beautiful in Kanazawa with its both major and other smaller parks. I think two days will give you a good idea about the city. The castle and garden are sure both nice but I also very much enjoyed its museums including DT Suzuki Museum. I wrote about my days in Kanazawa here if that would help: https://bizarrejourneys.com/kanazawa/
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 08:45
Lots of people do Kanazawa as an overnight from Tokyo, especially weekend trips.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 15:02
Sounds good. With getting up so early youfll have enough time in Kanazawa. For the Ryokan just plan that youfll need to checkin early. Something like 17:30 ( theyfll tell you) so you can have your (early) dinner there.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 15:05
This is plenty of time to get a taste as there is plenty to see in this city. Do note that tourism is really taking off in this city so a non weekend date if possible would get rid of some of those weekend crowds
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 18:25
I would be visiting in late October, arriving in Kanazawa on a Monday and returning to Tokyo on a Tuesday.
by swirlyeyedsamurai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 19:06
Kanazawa has lots of museums which are worth visiting, but be careful as some are closed on a Monday or Tuesday. Just checking before you leave which day each museum is open. For example, the DT Sukuki building was closed when I went, but I could still see the outside.

Monday/Tuesday should be a good time and it should have cooled down to a really nice temperature around then...

Some posts I made of Kanazawa are below. Feel free to look at them or ignore them..

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-3279
https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-3280
https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-3281
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 20:34
Where else are you going? Kanazawa could work well as a stopover between Tokyo and Kansai, to save travel time.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 20:44
Unfortunately, this is a last minute tack-on to my itinerary since I had 2 days left on my rail pass as well. This is the portion of my trip where I send a few days in Tokyo before departing the country. I would have already been to the Kansai region for 7 days in an earlier portion of my trip.

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 20:59
Are your exact dates the 21st and 22nd or the 28th and 29th of October 2019?

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days/1 night from Tokyo to Kanazawa enough? 2019/7/23 21:32
The 21st and 22nd. Many museums are closed on Mondays and the 22nd is a national holiday (Emperor Enthronement Ceremony) but my main attraction of interest, Kenrokuen, has no closing days.

reply to this thread