Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting married, visa change of status 2019/7/23 17:33
Hi all,

I've done a lot of research on this and I understand the process well and I know what I need to do.

I met my girlfriend on a working holiday in Japan and have been together for a year and a half now and want to make the next step. I can speak Japanese and on my working holiday worked in Japan for 1 year as well as travelling the country. In that year I moved in with my girlfriend for 5 months and we also travelled around a lot together.
I'm also an I.T professional of 6 years experience + 4 years of study at college.

I've been wondering what kind of chances there are of being sent home to do the CoE route?

The thing that makes me a little anxious is the following:
"In addition ,if applicant has the status of residence "Temporary Visitor" the applicant must satisfy the requirements stated above and have unavoidable and exceptional circumstances."

I was wondering how often people have been asked to go back and if in the end they actually did/insisted to stay in, or found some reason or "exceptional circumstance". I've seen stories on various threads saying they didn't, however not many that say they did, so wanted to get more info on this.

I appreciate people taking any time to read and share their experiences with me.

Many thanks
Dave
by DaveSimonds  

Re: Getting married, visa change of status 2019/7/24 08:59
The most important thing is that you make sure you are actually applying for a change of status, immigration has been known to try to get people to go other routes; insist on change of status.

As for your chances of success, nobody knows. Many people have successfully changed status with the exceptional circumstances being more or less ggot married, decided to live in Japanh. All you can do is try, or go home and wait for a COE (visa is basically rubber stamped once you have that, quick and easy in almost all cases).
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread