Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/27 14:01
Hi,

My parents wants to see Japan later this November to see the autumn foliage and I'm their guide, who still can't speak Japanese after three trips already T_T, there. I'll put our initial itinerary here and would ask for some advice considering that I prefer not to have them walking a lot..I've been taking trains mostly on my last trips and walked most of the way to save money but I have to reconsider some of it and take buses if possible.

First day we'll arrive at Kansai Airport at the evening
Second Day. Either Museum of Housing and Living or Osaka Castle, depending on which opens first. Then Namba Yasaka Shrine then the Dotonburi Area
Third Day. Minoo Park, or not especially if the trip there's too much walking, then Sumiyoshi, Shitennoji and Shinsekai / Tsutenkaku Tower
Fourth Day. Move to Kyoto from Osaka. Currently looking for AirBnB near Kyoto Station. Kyoto Imperial Palace/Sento Gardens, then Kiyomizu-Dera. Seems like the buses can get us halfway there compared to taking the train but the problem is going back to Kyoto station since the distances from the buses that goes back to the train is similar (around 1.3km).
Fifth Day. Visit Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji Temple, then Ryoanji Temple (optional depending on finding a bus route going there and back to Kyoto Station)
Sixth Day. Visit Arashiyama. Bamboo Grove for them but I'm hoping to visit the Togetsukyo Bridge ( I failed to last time) and other nearby attractions.
Seventh Day. Visit Nara. Mostly Nara Park where most of the attractions are (Todaiji Temple, Nara Park, etc..) we'd be skipping the Deer park.
Eight Day. Going back to Osaka from Kyoto. Pretty much anything else we wanted to do. For me it's Den den town.
Ninth Day. Going back to our home country later afternoon from KIX

I go on with other details but it might not fit the maximum. I need advice on places that we can avoid for otherwise especially my parents are on their 60's. thanks
by Gabse  

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/27 15:57
If you want to see Kinkakuji Temple, then Ryoanji Temple I'd do that early in the day, as the crowds at both are horrible, then maybe have a nice lunch somewhere and head to Fushimi Inari later in the day.

Kyoto is difficult to get around by bus-the traffic can be terrible and the buses are packed. There are many beautiful things to stumble on that aren't high on the tourist list. Many posters here can point you to those.

Also, Kyoto and Osaka are really close together. It might not be worth changing from one to the other.

You'll be within striking distance of Himeji Castle, which is well worth a visit.

Have a great time in Japan.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/27 16:04
Hi, currently we're trying to calculate our budget for the whole trip so we could find alternative particularly with Kyoto.

Since both my parent get tired easily we will book a place to stay in Kyoto instead of moving from Osaka to Kyoto and back thus why I worry with the Kiyomizu dera, and those places that couldn't be reached by train destinations (Kinkakuji and Ryoanji)
by Gabse rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/27 16:07
What my mother wants to see is the autumn foilage most importantly, one castle, one park, one temple per day. I asked them about trying Himeji castle but when they saw the amount to be spent they backed out.

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/27 16:57
For the day with Ryoanji I would be there 10 min BEFORE it opens. Thatfs the only time you are going to get some peaceful time. Once you visited that to head over to Kinkakuji.

For your transport, you could occasionally opt for a taxi to bring you to the nearest train station.

With autumn foliage being the goal of day that all the places you have listed in Kyoto likely will be insanely crowded. All of them are kind of gmust see placesh for just too many people. This is suggest you do a bit more research and find some less crowded spots as well. So you have an alternative of your parents are tired by all the crowds you can do the next day a less crowded experience. Mostly less crowded will come with a bit worse transport options, but thatfs not always the case.

If Himeiji isnft on your list, did you consider Hikone?

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/27 17:41
I took my mum one year with us, we spend 3 days in Nara then 3 in Kyoto and really she (like us) thought that Nara was much nicer than Kyoto. It is pretty nice with the autumn leaves there, too.

I agree with Hikone for a nice little castle town.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/27 23:07
Some destinations still require lots of walk from the nearest bus stop (like Kiyomizu-dera, which also involves a gentle hill). Taxi is one viable option, and I find Japanese cab fare to be more affordable compared to the US. Or you can start training for it now by walking a lot everyday.
by akan00 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/28 08:49
I would agree with the previous response.

Most of you attempted destinations still require a lot of walking. Kiyomizudera is lots of walking and hills. Osaka castle is also a lot of walking, and hilly from all side to access.

It looks more like a regular itinerary with any regards for seniors with poor walking ability.

With seniors who cannot walk far. You need to design an itinerary that is split between morning and afternoon. Do the easy stuff with the senior in the morning. And at lunch they can return to their hotel for rest. As they will most likely only be able to do half of what you can do. Leaving the afternoon for yourself and partner or able bodied people to do the larger walking and hilly sightseeing locations.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/29 19:44
Thanks for the replies. I'd be taking notes and try talking to them about it. As for anywhere farther than Kyoto and Osaka, with Nara an exception, it's a no for them. At the meantime it seems hard to conceptualize it since they seems to like the stuff they see but probably later when I show them maps point directions. Might consider taxies then especially with some sites in Kyoto (kiyomizu dera, Ryoanji, and Enkouji)

Will check here for estimates for taxis. In the meantime any idea how much would it cost? mostly for coming back to kyoto station?

Re: 8 day itinerary with seniors 2019/7/30 08:58
In their 60's and can't walk - then you are going to have issues. You have lots of walking in your schedule, pretty much every place you have listed.
Top of the list, drop Kiyomizu and substitute something less strenuous and more pleasant - the nearby Kodaiji would be a good option.
The bus routes do run between places like Roanji and Kinkakuji, but the distance is not far (last time I visited both I walked with my guests who are in their 70's). If your parents don't walk much, how will they be standing around for ages waiting to get on very crowded buses (and then probably standing.)
I understand you are doing this on a low budget, but train and taxi can be a good option for getting around - sitting in a taxi will also give your parents a chance to rest.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread