Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you apply for a spouse visa inside Japan? 2019/7/29 16:57
My (japanese) husband and I filed for a CoE while I was still in the US, hoping it might come faster than the allotted three months. There were some issues and I did not get the CoE before my flight, and so I was just waiting in Japan on a temporary vistor/tourist visa.

The CoE came, with no problems (took less than two months), but now I have a new problem. I'm not sure what to do. Going back to the states for a few weeks to apply for the spouse visa would be a complete waste of money, and not something I want to do (jet lag kills me).

So, my question is can I apply for a visa at the embassy or US consulate IN Japan. I know a change of status can take up to three months and we would have to resubmit all of the paperwork again (and immigration doesn't like that, because it's not the proper way of doing things).

Has anyone, who ALREADY received their CoE, ever applied for a visa (of any kind) WITHIN Japan? Or did they have to wait the addition time for a status change?

When I first came, we called immagration, and they told us "no, changing your status isn't the right way" and "you can just apply for the visa when you get here", but I'm weary as I've been searching in English and Japanese, and haven't been able to find any proof that this is okay. Even the CoE paper says 'a japanese consulate or embassy abroad'... Will I have to take a trip to Korea and go to the Japanese embassy there? (still cheaper than flying home, or making the trip to the Tokyo embassy).

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
by yamaMogi (guest)  

Re: Can you apply for a spouse visa inside Japan? 2019/7/29 19:05
No, you cannot apply for a Japanese visa from within Japan. That would make zero sense, because the purpose of a Japanese visa is to enter Japan.

Also, US consulates of course issue US visas, not Japanese ones.

If you don't want to leave Japan, apply for a change of status.

If you want to go to Korea and apply for a visa at the Japanese consulate there, confirm with them beforehand that they will accept your application.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you apply for a spouse visa inside Japan? 2019/7/29 21:35
No need to go back it's a simple process just get married according to your country embassy requirements and Japanese ward office and get all the required documents for changing status to spouse of Japanese national and go straight to immigration and submit with CEO. Don't waste the time first step is getting married here after marriage all is fine and easy.
by Japanguide (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread