Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Calm traditional place in autumn season 2019/7/31 20:03
I am planning to go to Japan at the second half of November and beginning of December (preliminary) and I would like to stay in as quiteful place as possible and in a traditional nature environment with beautiful autumn colours. I am searching in temple lodging but it is difficult to choose. I want to avoid mass tourism and many foreign tourists as I saw in Koyasan. Have you any suggestions?
by Robin (guest)  

Re: Calm traditional place in autumn season 2019/8/1 12:28
For temple stay consider the serene Eihei-ji in Fukui Prefecture.
https://daihonzan-eiheiji.com/en/guide-sanzen.html

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Calm traditional place in autumn season 2019/8/1 18:06
Thank you very much for your nice suggestion. If I understood it right you, as a visitor, can't live in the temple, but in a modern hotell, can you? It looks really nice temple, but I am afraid there are many tourists, almost one million per year I have read...
by Robin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Calm traditional place in autumn season 2019/8/1 19:29
Fukui is not Koyasan. It has the second smallest number of foreign tourists stay in the prefecture out of the 40 odd prefectures in Japan. As such - there will be some western tourists but not hundreds at a time such as what you might see in Kyoto

https://statistics.jnto.go.jp/en/graph/#graph--inbound--prefecture--ranking

From what I am reading from the website provided - you stay in the temple such as what you do in Koyasan but it's much more involved than the more touristy temples.

The temple mentioned can get quite busy, but this will probably be more with Japanese tourists. Staying AT THE TEMPLE will significantly change how you see the location - as you will be there before and after it's open to the public. You might also be able to access locations in the temple which are away from the public - but others will know more
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Calm traditional place in autumn season 2019/8/1 19:32
Thank you very much for your explanation.
by Robin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread