Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/2 06:31
We have 5 days from Tokyo to Osaka, 3 in Kyoto. I ask whether to spend the other two nights in Hakone (before Kyoto) or in Naoshime (after).

by Dror (guest)  

Re: 2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/2 11:10
They are quite different places and the range of accommodation is also very different.
What kind of things do you like/dislike. For hotels/ryokan and some scenery Hakone would normally beat Naoshima which has different scenery (it's a small island after all), but with more basic accommodation and less set up for tourists (despite being a tourist destination).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/2 11:41
Hi!

Where is next on your itinerary and what is your budget? Is it: Tokyo to Kyoto to Naoshima to Tokyo? or Toyko to Hakone to Kyoto to Tokyo? Or is it something completely else? What time of year is this? If it's Summer, I would pick Hakone, because I would imagine Naoshima is quite hot.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/2 11:45
Hakone and Naoshima arenft comparable. Both are interesting (to me) but I think you need to find out what is more interesting for YOU.

regarding heat, well Naoshima in summer will be hotter than Hakone, but you can go to the beach. Rather than soak in a hot onsen.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/2 16:46
I have been to both places but my favorite was Naoshima. Naoshimafs art installations, museums, and architecture are incredible. For example, the Chichu Art Museum is unusual in that it is located almost completely underground yet used natural light to illuminate the artwork.

If you're an art lover, nature enthusiast or culturalist, you will enjoy this island. On this travel guide, you can find more information about all the things you can do in Naoshima in the summertime: https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/naoshima-travel-guide

Enjoy!
by John Liam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/2 18:32
I like both locations, but as mentioned they are both distinctively different. I find that Hakone can also be completed as an easy day trip from places like Kyoto or Osaka.

On the other hand, Naoshima is best when it comes to the art but it can also get a lot more expensive specifically with accommodation and visiting attractions. If you are budget conscious - I'd probably stay in Hakone. Have you thought about a day in Hakone and a possible another day in Inujima which I think is a great and more contained version of Naoshima - but both are quite different. Both of these would be day trips or at least staying in Okayama for a night and also visiting the famous garden in Okayama!
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/4 05:29
Thanks to all the responders. Your advises are very helpful.

Although usually we don't stay less than 2 nights in one place, we do consider going for 1 night to Hakone (from Tokyo), 2-3 nights to Kyoto and 1 or 2 nights in Naoshima, and than to Osaka and home.

Do you have any comments?

Dror

by arad/ayalon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 days: Hakone or Naoshima? 2019/8/4 07:31
Sounds good!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread