Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kore mo hitotsu no deai 2019/8/2 13:10
1. What does the phrase 「まあ、これも一つの出会い」 mean? Based on the examples on these pages:

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/ryongsil/e/5bb45e7894bbca20c3d12db57891fb46
http://kawaguchigumi.jp/%E6%96%B0%E7%9D%80%E6%83%85%E5%A0%B1/%E6%B0%97...

It seems to be "these things happen" or a resigned "think of it as an adventure." I've never heard it used before, though.

2. A musician is talking about an energetic guitar track he wrote & recorded:

「もうあの曲はノリ一発ですね。ギターでガーンという感じで。」

To what does the ノリ一発 refer? Is it talking about how the track was recorded ("in a single shot/try") or how the track sounds ("like a burst of energy")?

As always, thank you very much for any help.
by Blenheim (guest)  

Re: Kore mo hitotsu no deai 2019/8/2 17:26
1. This sounds like "I consider that a (good, chance) encounter." Maybe it was not an approach he had expected or planned for, but he accepted (whatever it was) and it turned out good, is what it sounds like, without knowing the exact context.

2. Again without reading the whole interview I cannot tell, I thought he might even be talking about how it was composed, meaning the composition of the whole tune came in one gush, without writing it once and editing over and over. But now come to think of it, that "ippatsu" may be referring to recording in one go...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Kore mo hitotsu no deai 2019/8/3 18:18
Just to add to AK's wonderful answer, 出会い, ノリ and 一発 are all common expressions in the Japanese language. They're so common that they're cultural and even often untranslatable. Also onomatopoeia (such as ガーン) is commonly used in Japanese as well.

"Deai" literally means "encounter" (as a noun), but I think people commonly use it because they believe in the idea of karma or chance or what not.

For example, the blogger never intended to buy such a machine. But he was offered it, it was a rare item, and he took it as "an encounter" .

Similarly, I'm not crazy about shopping at all, but once in a while I would randomly go into a shop and find an ornament "looking at me" or "waiting for me to hold it". I would see that as a "deai". Or I would go buy a simple letter pad, and find lots of practical things but nothing that "feels right". I would see that as no "deai".

Your translation, "these things happen" or a resigned "think of it as an adventure" does correctly depict the situation. Although you haven't worded "deai", you have culturally interpreted it. So that's "deai".

You probably understand the meaning of "nori" and "ippatsu" and even "gaan", so I won't go into that. But I'm afraid we can't tell if he's talking about how the track was written/recorded or how the finished track sounds. I wonder if you can judge from the context of the whole dialog. Meanwhile, if I were the translator I would just say, "That song's like bang!" which can mean both.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread