Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 01:35
This is my itinerary for our first trip to Japan. After a few re-writes, and additions, I was hoping I could receive some critique and input to my itinerary below. I feel pretty good about this, but still would like a little critique. There are so many things to see and do, but so little time on our trip. So if we are over doing it, please be honest and let me know. Also I must note that we are planning on doing this trip with two backpacks, and a small carry on luggage for souvenirs. So our last day (Sunday) I would probably store the luggage in a locker somewhere, or just carry it with us.

This is a father/daughter trip over fall break from October 12th to October 20th 2019 and her first international trip. She will be 12 at the time of travel, and has been interested in Japan and the culture since she was 8. We are leaving the US from Chicago with ANA on the 12th, and arrive in Tokyo (Haneda) late Sunday the 13th. When I say late, itfs an 8:30 PM arrival, so we wonft have much we can do by the time we get settled in. Thankfully with the late arrival maybe we can try and get ourselves onto Japan bedtime relatively quickly to combat jet lag. We will also be packing some sleep aids just in case.

Ideally we will be rising early and returning to our place mid evening each day. A few days we will take a break mid-day so we can see some sights at night. We are looking to hit up the usual tourist attractions, but also have a few other interests we would like to check off the list. One site she really wants to see is Chureito Pagoda, and I realize that will probably be a full day, and I'm okay with that. Hopefully not and we can squeeze in a few things in the late afternoon/evening. We are not staying in Central Tokyo, but not too far away from Shinjuku. We will be resting in an AirBNB near Egota-no-mori Park for the week.

Our plan is to enjoy snacks/street food during the day, and a sit down restaurant at night. She is not a kid that likes to sit down for huge portions, and neither am I. We would much rather snack throughout the day, than waste time for a seat. However I do know we will have to for a few places in mind.

I believe I have done my homework with researching certain items here and with google but I still have some questions and hesitations about feasibility of fitting all of this in. Hopefully they can be answered within this thread.

Flights and accommodations have already been taken care of, I just need to figure out if a budget of $1000 - $1500 USD is enough for our trip. This budget is for food, subways, and souvenirs. One of my biggest questions is if we should get the JR Pass. We will only be using the Shinkansen once and a one way trip to Narita. I donft think itfs going to save us money but I could be wrong. Am I?

This is a pretty flexible schedule as well. If we want to move things around due to weather or other items we are going to do that. Especially if we know the day is going to be clear then thatfs when we go towards Fuji.

Overall I think this is doable, but there are some days that have more going on than others which might force us to move it into other days.

My first big question is that we have to go from Haneda to Shin-Egota station that evening. Itfs a bit of a haul, but thatfs not my concern. My biggest concern is getting from Haneda to Daimon Station, without leaving the station. Should I use the Keikyu line or Tokyo Monorail?

Getting to Naritia from Gotokuji Temple. What would be our best option? The NEX from Tokyo Station?

The Bold text items are places/things that we really would like to see. Missing out on these would make me feel like the trip was all for naught.

Day 1: Monday October 14th

Meiji Jingu (Quick Visit – First Goshuin Stamp)
Cat Street/Harajuku
Totti Candy Factory
Nakano Broadway

---------------------------------------

Day 2: Tuesday October 15th

Ueno Park (Stroll Through - No Zoo/Temples – Breakfast in the park)
Ameyoko Market
Tokyo Disney Sea

Day 3: Wednesday October 16th (Depending on Weather may be moved to another day)

Chureito Pagoda
Shibyua Crossing and Hachiko Statue
Dinner ( Oreryu Shio-ramen Shibuya-sohonten ) Fried Chicken Ramen
Ice Cream at Milk, Crepe in Harajuku, or Toyko Food Show

Day 4: Thursday October 17th

Nezu Shrine (Goshuin Stamp)
Hanabusa Inari Shrine (Quick Visit - Just want to see it quickly)
Akihabara (Retro Game and Plastic Model Kit Shopping)
- TamTam
- Amiami
- Super Potato
- Yodobashi Camera
- Don Quijote
Arcade, Gachapon, and Vending Machine Corner
Beef Katsu Ichi Ni San for Late Lunch/Early Dinner

Day 5: Friday October 18th

Half Day Trip to Odawara (To experience a bit out of the city and ride the Bullet Train – Tokyo Station)
Giant Ghibli Clock
Tokyo Tower (View from Below and surrounding area)
Zojoji Temple
Mori Tower Night View

Day 6: Saturday October 19th

Asakusa ( Temple and Back Streets ) – Early before the crowds
River Cruise to Odaiba
Odaiba
- Gundam Statue
- Fuji Building
- Statue of Liberty
- Joyopolis

Day 7: Sunday October 20th

We check out that morning early and will have bags as we cannot leave them after 10AM
Gotokuji Temple (Goshuin Stamp?)
Late afternoon flight (4:30 PM) out of Narita.

by Paul (guest)  

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 12:01
Going to the pagoda only seems weird. It is a long way to go just for one location.

The fuji five lakes region has more sights than just the pagoda. Maybe visit the region for the day?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 13:24
I agree that going to just see the pagoda near Kawaguchiko will be time consuming. I suggest making it a day trip including other things in Kawaguchiko.
Disney Sea is easily a one day/night venture, especially for a first timer. Allot the whole day for it.
At Odaiba, your daughter (and you) might like teamlab borderless and the fool the eye museum.
You might rearrange you schedule to spend your last day at Ueno. Then you could use the Keisei Skyliner to Narita and take advantage of the subway pass which might make sense for your mainly Tokyo experience. Here's the link: https://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/tickets/subway.php
I hope you have an enjoyable trip!
Nealsons
by nealson ichiro sato (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 13:31
Regarding going from Haneda to Daimon Station:
I donft understand what you mean by gwithout leaving stationh, but Daimon Station is a very short walk from Hamamatsucho station (but they are not physically connected). So you can take the monorail to Hamamatsucho, then walk to Daimon Station (which requires leaving Hamamatsucho station).

You may want to consider getting a metro pass.
https://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/travel/index.html
by edokko101 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 15:01
Agree with PPs.

A JR pass will NOT pay off. You donft have any long distance travel. It only pays off if youfd go to Osaka and back. I would just get an IC card for the convenience and for your Shinkansen ride you just buy a ticket.

I get it that you want the experience of a Shinkansen ride but Odawara isnft a specially nice destination. If you are REALLY into trains you could just make it about the train, go there by Shinkansen and return by Odakyu romance car taking a reserved seat (youfll need to reserve ahead of time) in the first/last car with the wide view. If itfs not about trains why not just doing a Shinkansen ride to Shin Yokohama and then either visit Yokohama for the day or go on to Kamakura? (Taking the Shinkansen isnft the most practical approach but if itfs about the experience thatfs fine).

Enjoy your trip to Tokyo!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 15:18
Karuizawa as a nearby destination done by shinkansen is a good option. The shopping street is very nice and there are some good sights there. It is only an hour by shinkansen from Tokyo
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 17:43
Another great spot, if you like museums, is Miraikan on Odaiba https://www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/en/

We also walked one direction across the Rainbow Bridge.

Re Daimon Station, it looks like an easy transfer to the Oedo line towards Roppongi if you take the Keikyu Line. If you take the monorail, the change is easy at Hamamatsucho. The stations are across the street at ground level but joined underground.

All the big temples will have goshuin stamps-I keep a photo of each one with a note of where it's from, so I don't get hopelessly muddled.

A word about meals. Lunch is cheaper than dinner for the same meal in the same seat: you might consider a light breakfast, good lunch, then evening snacks from the convenience store or department store basement: we like Odakyu in Shinjuku but you really can't go wrong anywhere.

Have a wonderful time in Japan!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 21:17
Hi!

In regards to Tokyo Disney Sea, October is one of the peak months to visit and even with a full day, be aware you're not going to accomplish as much as you would think.

This is the crowd calendar:
http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

It's usually pretty accurate though my last trip thanks to G20 my nice light blue day became yellow. The 15th is a cranberry day. There are likely to be capacity controls. You need to be there early, or you might not be getting in, you are not going to be getting in with a Twilight Ticket if that is what you had planned. I went once with a Twilight Ticket on an orange day, every ride had at least 40 minute+ lines including Sinbad. Just walking around was hard. It's a nice park, but unless you and your child just enjoy admiring the scenery of a theme park, go early, as early as possible. You could also move your visit to the 16th or 17th, though it will still be unpleasantly crowded just not ticket restrictions crowded (probably.)

Sea opens at 8:00 am when you are there. People will line up before 7:00 am for entry. It's going to take you a good hour from Shin-Egota just to get to Maihama and then you need to either walk or take the monorail.

Even getting in late, the jetlag from the US can be bad. Take advantage of it. I find it means I am up super early. Shrines like Meiji Jingu tend to open early vs. many shops which seem to open late. So your visit doesn't need to be that fast as nothing is really going to open in Harajuku before 10:00 am and some places will be even later. We got in about 8/20:00 this Summer to our hotel (because we transferred to Itami from Narita) and we got in after 10/22:00 last Summer to our hotel because we took the train between Tokyo and Osaka post arrival. It usually takes my child 1 week to adjust. I would not plan too much in the evening. I've done 4 mother-daughter trips to Japan.

Like everyone already said, don't get a rail pass. If you go to Kawaguchiko, you're getting outside of Tokyo. I think depending on what you are shopping for and your tolerance for shopping, you might be spending more time shopping than you think. Unlike many people on this forum, I am a shopper. My daughter and I collect Japanese fashion dolls and places like Nakano Broadway Mall you can spend a lot more time than you would think. I am surprised the Mandarake in Shibuya isn't on your list.

With $1000, you can spend about $140 per day on food, transport, shopping, and entertainment. Whether that is enough depends on what you plan to spend on those 4 categories.

In regards to Goshouin, you might want to try to do a search on what some of the books look like. I have a few Goshouin books, 2 have pretty boring covers, but the one at I started at Kushida jinja is quite impressive. (I had to ask a friend in Fukuoka to get one for her so we could have the same cover.)

Good luck!

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 21:23
If you time it correctly, you can take the Airport Kyuko access train (the one that connects Haneda and Narita), and that one takes you to Daimon directly via Sengakuji. You wouldn't have to get off at Sengakuji either. I am sure you can ask at the counter at Haneda International Terminal Station when the trains depart. Hyperdia.com will also show them if you just use Haneda International (T3) to Daimon as your destination station.

I am quite familiar with ANA's flights out of ORD. NH111. O'Hare to Haneda-I've taken that one twice. I'm a morning person, so I like to take NH11 which leaves earlier as I usually fly off to a domestic destination from Haneda that same day.

Might I suggest buying the Tokyo Wide Pass for 3 consecutive days at 10,000yen? You can take the Shinkansen to Karuizawa as a PP suggested and also use it for the N'Ex to Narita on your last day. Of course, you'd have to go to Karuizawa on the second to last full day in Japan, as you'd need to use the pass on your departure day. But since you were eyeing that day for your trip to Odawara, it would satisfy your superexpress "fix", lol! You could also use it to get to Kawaguchiko, as you can use it all the way to Kawaguchiko Station. The only drawback would be that you would have to do that with the pass on your last full day and not on your 3rd day. Well, it's something to consider.... https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/6 21:25
Thank you all for your input!

I checked out the calendar for Disney last evening and found the same thing as said above. We go to the parks in Orlando often, and honestly its not a huge disappointment if we don't make it. So most likely it will be scratched from the plan.

As for the pagoda, we are okay with taking the trip to see it. Its at the top of her list and honestly I think we would both enjoy the slow paced day and train travel. We have both looked at the Hakone area and it really doesn't suit us.

Odawara is also something that may get scratched from the list when we get there. We want to experience the Shinkansen but its at the bottom of our "to-do" list.

Again thanks for all the input. Will put it to use to tweak our itinerary and have a great trip.

by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/7 06:35
If the pagoda is near the top of your to do list, and a must do. Then just incorporate more locations along the Chuo mainline you'll be traveling on. Nakano Boardway shopping complex at Nakano seems to be similar to your liking.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nakano+broadway&source=lnms&tbm=isch&s...

Mt Takao is good if you like views, walks and monkeys.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/7 21:19
hakata14

Thank you for your suggestion. Our plan is to visit Nakano Broadway on our first full day, however with your suggestions I may move it to another day. However I'm not sure how we should approach it. May just keep Nakano on the first day, and do the other on the Pagoda Day. Should we go to the furthest destination (Pagoda) first, leaving as early as possible that morning, and make our way back towards the city afterwords? I've updated the days in my itinerary, could you critique?

Day 1: Monday October 14th

Nakano Broadway
Meiji Jingu (Quick Visit – First Goshuin Stamp)
Cat Street/Harajuku
Totti Candy Factory
Shibyua Crossing and Hachiko Statue
Dinner ( Oreryu Shio-ramen Shibuya-sohonten ) Fried Chicken Ramen
Ice Cream at Milk, Crepe in Harajuku, or Toyko Food Show

Day 3: Wednesday October 16th (Depending on Weather may be moved to another day)

Chureito Pagoda
Mount Takao

by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/8 09:47
If you're going to Kawaguchiko to see the pagoda, I suggest you spend the day there instead of also going to Mt Takao on the same day. You and your daughter can walk along the lakeshore and, if by chance the maples are red (but I think it may be too early), through the momiji tunnel. There's also the music box museum, which I wouldn't recommend except for the sand painting show. I was just blown away by it.
by nealson rate this post as useful

Re: October Itinerary - Critique? 2019/8/8 09:54
forgot to mention the kubota art museum. It was fantastic. I was hestitant on going because I thought what would be so great about seeing kimonos? Well, it was great seeing these kimonos which were works of art.
by nealson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread