Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 15:05
Hi. Would like to ask which route is easier to change trains for 2 ladies each with a large suitcase. As suggested by Hyperdia:

Route 1-- 750yen
OSAKA AIRPORT take Osaka Monorail Main Line for KADOMASHI to MINAMIIBARAKI Station (MONORAIL)

Walk 3min to MINAMIIBARAKI Station(HANKYU) (do we exit station here?)

Take Hankyu Kyoto Line Semi-Exp. for KAWARAMACHI to IBARAKISHI Station. Do we change train here? or does the train go straight to KAWARAMACHI Station (KYOTO) ?

At Kawaramachi Station, is there a lift at Exit 1A or 1B?

Route 2-- 670yen
OSAKA AIRPORT take Osaka Monorail Main Line for KADOMASHI to HOTARUGAIKE Station.

Hankyu Takarazuka Line Exp. for UMEDA to JUSO Station. Any advice on how to get to the next platform?

Change to HANKYU KYOTO LINE LTD. EXP. for KAWARAMACHI Station.

Thank you.

by lseehk  

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 15:31
Which airport are you arriving at? KIX (Kansai Airport), or Osaka (Itami) airport?? They are different airports.
by ...... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 16:16
KIX. Thanks.
by lseehk rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 17:23
If KIX then restart your search starting from KIX instead of Itami airport.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 18:15
Haruka to Kyoto Station and take a bus from there? Or a taxi might be better with the luggages, the distance is quite near so cost wont be high.
by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 20:24
Ohh! Thanks for highlighting that Osaka Airport is not KIX! I didn't realise. So now I see Kansai airport to Gion-Shijo Station via TENGACHAYA costs 2070yen. Takes 107 minutes, 2 transfers. Question: can we not buy the seat fee?
Or would the Kansai Airport Express Haruka Ticket be a better option? We'll still need to take subway from Kyoto Station to Gion-Sjijo/ Kawaramachi Station.
Thank you.

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 20:27
Hi!

Do not take a local bus with large luggage. They don't have any storage and can be crowded.

You pretty much need to take the Haruka from KIX to Kyoto Station, you can then transfer to the Nara line (all within the JR Station) and go one stop to Tofukuji and change there for the Keihan line and take that to Gion Shijo. I believe there is an elevator for the transfer, I did it a lot when I stayed in Gion Shijo. You can also take the subway from Kyoto Station (in that case you leave the JR section and change for the subway, take the subway 2 stations to Shijo and change there for the Hankyu line/Karasuma Station and take that one stop to its terminus Kawaramachi Station and then just walk to Gion Shijo. It's a short walk. Exits 1A and !B are the closest to the river and Gion Shijo, but I would make sure to pick an exit with an elevator or escalator and I can't remember which have those.

You can also use luggage forwarding to send your suitcases from KIX to your accommodations in Kyoto.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 21:21
Thank you for the suggestion. May I know how is the Haruku Pass different from taking NANKAI LTD. EXP. RAPI to TENGACHAYA. Then OsakaMetro Sakaisuji Line for KITASENRI to KITAHAMA(OSAKA). Then Keihan Main Line Ltd. Exp. for DEMACHIYANAGI to Gion-Shijo? Total: \2,070Ticket. (Fare: \1,560 Seat Fee: \510)

Our flight arrives Tues 6pm at KIX. Not sure how long immigration will take and how frequent is the above route.

Once again, thank you.

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 23:13
Hi!

Technically, the Haruka to Kyoto should be faster? I also personally prefer not to change trains with bags in Osaka unless I am staying in Osaka because the stations tend to be more crowded with actual commuters. Lots of people have big bags in Kyoto Station and Tofukuji Station isn't usually crazy busy. I also find some of the stations in Osaka can be a bit of a maze in terms of walking around to find connections. Harukas tend to come in at track 30. You take an escalator up to the bridge to cross tracks and go to track 8 or 9 to catch the train to Tofukuji. There is an escalator down to the track.

With this special offer the rate via JR is also lower.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/8 23:36
Thank you for your advice, rkold. Totally agree with you after reading a bit on the Haruka. Also, appreciate the link to the special offer. Thanks!

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/9 01:04
When in the day is your arrival to KIX scheduled?

appreciate the link to the special offer. Thanks!

When you have a Haruka reserved seat,
this discount ticket does not cover the Limited Express surcharge
(around 1500 yen).

Kyoto Station Building is huge.
It sounds better to know in advance a good transfer route.

Alternatively,
you can go with two quick transfers
to Kawaramachi Station of Hankyu,
which is close to Gion-Shijo Station of Keihan.

Kansai-airport Station
| Nankai: Limited Express Rapi:t Beta
Tengachaya Station
: A quick transfer through the ticket gates.
Tengachaya Station
| Osaka Metro Sakaisuji Line (280 yen)
| + Hankyu Senri Line (400 yen)
Awaji Station: A quick transfer inside the ticket gates.
| Hankyu Kyoto Line
Kawaramachi Station
| Walking
Your destination near Gion-Shijo Station.

Your seats are not reserved from Tengachaya to Kawaramachi,
approximately for one hour.
During a weekday morning or evening commuters' rush hours,
that can be a demerit of taking this route.

- Nankai Kanku Tokuwari Rapi:t Ticket
(1270 yen for a regular seat)
https://www.howto-osaka.com/en/ticket/ticket/tokuwari.html

Then OsakaMetro Sakaisuji Line for KITASENRI to KITAHAMA(OSAKA).
Then Keihan Main Line Ltd. Exp. for DEMACHIYANAGI to Gion-Shijo?

The transfer at Kitahama is relatively not quick;
the subway platform (the 3rd basement) -->>
the subway concourse and ticket gate (the 2nd basement) -->>
the pathway (the 1st basement) -->>
the Keihan concourse and ticket gate (the 1st basement) -->>
the Keihan platform (the 2nd basement).

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/9 01:33
Thanks, omotenashi. Our flight is scheduled to arrive 6pm. I assume after gate arrival, baggage, immigration, looking for JR office to buy the Haruka ticket and, /or looking for the train station, it'll probably be 7pm earliest. It is probably still peak hours shijo I think we'll go with the Haruka option.

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/9 01:54
Hi!

While the seat is non-reserved, KIX is the starting station so getting a seat should be doable. I can usually get two seats together, it would be harder if you were a group of 5 or 6.

Though honestly, if I had the money I would probably just take a cab from Kyoto Station. It shouldn't be more than 1000-1200 yen and while that is more money than the train, I am willing to pay for convenience. I like the special express from airport+IC card offers in Japan. I used the old NEX+Suica card offer 2 or 3x pre-2010 and it was great. I loved having a ready loaded Suica for non JR trips, which in Kyoto is likely to be most trips.

Good luck!

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/9 10:05
Don't want to sound negative, but if you are going to be using trains and buses to travel with your large (I assume heavy and bulky) luggage you will be miserable. The more destinations and transfers, the more miserable you will be. The only solutions are luggage forwarding services and/or travelling light. I don't know your itinerary but you might encounter stations with no elevators or escalators. I've seen so many tourists struggling with their huge pieces of luggage going up stairs or even loading them onto trains.
by nealson rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/9 11:25
which route is easier to change trains for 2 ladies each with a large suitcase
Get smaller luggage that you can manage easily. I agree with PP - travel lighter and your trip will be better. If you luggage is a problem for you, get smaller luggage and travel lighter. If you pack things you don't need and can use luggage forwarding, then leave it at home.

I constantly see people with monster cases (sometimes two) and they have a terrible time.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Getting from KIX to Gion-Shijo Station 2019/8/9 12:46
Thanks, everyone. Our luggage will be light, though it can be considered a bulky, medium size. Kyoto is our 1st city. We usually bring a half empty luggage for shopping :-). Nonetheless, I do agree taking public transport on subway with luggage is not ideal. We will take the Haruka then taxi from Kyoto Station to hotel. Thank you.

reply to this thread