Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working aspects in video game industry 2019/8/20 00:57
I'm about to learn graphic design, including everything like logo design, website UX/UI, 2D concept arts, 3D modelings... I love to work as artist (2D/3D) for video games. While I can find this kind of job elsewhere easier (USA, Canada, Europe, my home country - Vietnam), I dreamed to work in Japan for a long time. I have something to do with Japan that is a dream, so it's both sound like a pipe dream and sound stupid too. But I must go to Japan at all costs. I know the working environment in Japan is really harsh (work 12-14 hours per day, work to death...) and cultural differences and all, and I accept them all. Actually to the point I have nothing but work in my life, I would rather die than not working all day.
So, the environment is something I can withstand. But I'm not sure about how hard it is to get a working visa in that game industry in Japan? Some sites said it's virtually 0. Some said it's possible, but I must have a different than Anime-style portfolio. That I can prepare. But some said they prefer experienced game designers, some said they like fresh graduate. This is what I'm not certain. I found a game company website that is recruiting foreigners and giving out working visas. But I'm not sure they will survive in next 4 years when I graduate, or I can get a foot in it. The more options the better. I must prepare for all situations now.
I hope you can help me answer those if you know something. I have 4 years to prepare, and I'm learning Japanese to N1 level. Do they even give working visas for foreigners in game industry? Do they prefer experienced or fresh newbie? Is it even possible to get a job there, when the population is declining and 4 more years there will be way more vacancy?
Thank you for your replies.
by MikeyPan  

Re: Working aspects in video game industry 2019/8/20 08:33
You need to work in the game industry at all cost.

Than you need to consider yourself what you have to offer. Since the game industry in Japan has many competition among the workers. Do you have any great experience in game development, did you design games already, do you have any portfolio?

I have a friend (Japanese) working for a local game designer but still he needed to proof all above.

Also I do believe the game industry in America and Europe is much stronger and more advance than the Japanese game industry. That period has passed for Japan and is catch up by the rest of the world.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Working aspects in video game industry 2019/8/20 16:44
Thanks, so they prefer experienced ones. I will go to Canada to gain experience since they offer basically free visas. But I do hope that i can get a job in japan soon after i graduated. Can you ask your friends who are working in game industry for more insights, like how to get a job, what to prepare to impress the employers? More infos would be very useful for me. Thank you very much.
by MikeyPan rate this post as useful

Re: Working aspects in video game industry 2019/8/20 18:28
It's true that there is some parts of Japan are having trouble fillings jobs, but many of these tend to be jobs that do not pay well or jobs that people do not want to do (nursing at old peoples homes, delivery driving, working at family mart etc).

When it comes to jobs such as in the gaming industry, these are more sought after and are highly competitive as a result. A good question to ask is "what skills or experience can you provide which is not available in Japan?"

For many jobs, it's just easier to employ a local as you don't have to worry about visas etc along with the language barrier. It's cheaper and an employer is more likely to keep the employee compared to a foreigner as it's less likely that they will move country compared to a foreigner such as us.

I'd also look a bit more into the claim that Canada is basically giving away free visas for tech. I know this is true for some countries for things to do with the healthcare industry (nurses, doctors), but I'm not too sure it's as easy as you say.

Once again - Canada will employ locals first due to the ease and I'm not sure if Canada is known for having a significant gaming sector. I know that there used to be quite a few jobs in the geological programming side around 5 years ago due to Canada having a reasonable amount of resources, but it is what it is.

Others will probably know more
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Working aspects in video game industry 2019/8/20 23:30
Hi!

I actually have one friend currently employed in the gaming industry in Japan (Capcom) and one who was previously (Square Enix.) Both were specifically involved in localization and both are fluent in Japanese as well as being native English Speakers (both are currently Americans.) Both have said the industry has changed a lot since they got their jobs and it is much harder to get the equivalent job now, let alone one as an actual designer and programmer. Both have worked with the designers to discuss the localizations. Part of the issue is people just don't spend as much on video games as they once did. There is a lot more growth in the mobile market and that is not as Japan-centric.

I will say that while both friends have worked 12-14 hour days, neither has to all the time and neither do their co-workers.

by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread