Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Alps itinerary 2019/8/23 16:14
We are travelling for 3 weeks in May
We like hiking , culture, food

How dors our itinerary look?

Tokyo 4 nights
Kyoto 5 nights
Kiso valley 4 nights ending in Narai
Matsumoto 2 nights
Kamicochi 2 nights
Takayama 2 nights
Kanazawa 3 nights
Tokyo 1 night
by Lisa (guest)  

Re: Japan Alps itinerary - advice please 2019/8/24 03:47
I would cut down by 1 night the stays in Matsumoto, Kanazawa, and Takayama . I don't know exactly what you want to do in these cities (day trips?), so those nights might be justified. I can see staying in Kamikochi for two nights if you're doing a lot of hiking. It's a beautiful place. And make sure you do the Tsumago to Magome hike. Overall, your general itinerary looks good.
by nealson rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Alps itinerary - advice please 2019/8/24 06:09
Hi, unless you are doing day trips out of Matsumoto, 1 night would be enough there. It it pretty dead at night, except on weekends.

I think 4 nights at Kiso valley might be one or two too many, again it is pretty quiet except on weekends though it has been a few years since I was there.

Try to get a few nights at Nara or even one. Soooooo much nicer than Kyoto these days especially if you are staying near the park. Really nice having early morning walks before it gets busy.

If you cut back Kiso and want a night to fill, consider Bessho Onsen on the way back to Tokyo. Stop at Ueda and a short local train ride. It is a pretty little town, with cheap ryokan hotels and great food.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Alps itinerary 2019/8/24 16:20
Thanks for your input
I should have put more detail.

Tokyo day trip to Nikko
Kyoto day trips to Nara ( will look at having a night there) and Himeji
Will walk the Nakasendo Way staying at differnet towns for 4 nights
Matsumoto day trip to Togakushi ( if feasible )
Takayama trip to Hida Furukawa and stop at Shirakawago on our way to Kanazawa
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Alps itinerary 2019/8/24 16:24
Sounds pretty good to me
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread