Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I live in Japan alone at 16? 2019/8/25 09:34
I am 16 years old and want to live in Japan and Australia. One month in Japan and then travel back to my family in Australia for a month then go back to live in Japan for another month and so on. I have seen many things but Ifm not 100% sure if I can live in Japan by myself at 16 and constantly move in between countries.
by Miller Dorrington (guest)  

Re: Can I live in Japan alone at 16? 2019/8/25 15:30
Staying 1 month in Japan and then back to Australia and back again to Japan isnft LIVING in Japan. Thatfs coming for tourism to Japan very often.

You couldnft go to school. You couldnft go to university. You couldnft work. In either japan nor Australia.

So who is going to pay for this? And what about your education?

Also you might need to look into minimal age requirements in Japan for traveling alone even if you only want to come once for a month.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I live in Japan alone at 16? 2019/8/25 20:07
Is it possible to fly to Japan as a 16 year old? Yes - but getting accommodation, visas and the like will be challenging.

I used to work at an international school in Japan and students needed a guarantor or guardian until at least the age of 18. This means that a student from another country could not like in Japan unless they were with family or a guardian. Visas are not that easy to get if you just want to live between two countries.

The laws may have changed in the last couple of years, but have probably been tightened further due to the RWC and 2020 olympics. Have you thought of completing a school exchange for a few months in Japan as living here and visiting are significantly different.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can I live in Japan alone at 16? 2019/8/25 22:07
A visa wonft be necessary; citizens of countries like Australia, the UK, etc. are practically waved through immigration and can stay for a month no problem. Many 16 year olds in Australia are out of compulsory education, again no issues here. Arranging accommodation may be more complicated but with the help of a parent is doable.

The only potential issue is that if you enter the country say six times in one year, immigration may ask questions and can technically deny entry for any number of reasons. How likely it is that this would happen I donft know. As long as youfre not breaking the law (working) you should be good, but you need immigration to believe this to be the case.

For me personally two or three long visits in the space of a year sounds much more practical.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread