Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/26 18:18
Hello,
I will be landing in Narita at 15:25pm on a tuesday. Here is what I need to do:
1. Get my bags.
2. Rent wifi.
3. Currency exchange.
4. Exchange my documents to get jr pass.
5. Get to tokyo station. ( I know 1 hour ride)
6. Board the hokuriku shikensen kagayaki by 17:24pm so then I can board the last train from kanazawa to Osaka by 20:35pm using the Thunderbird express.

Please include walking time.

Is this doable or should I stay the first night somewhere else.
by Alice (guest)  

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/26 18:51
6. Board the hokuriku shikensen kagayaki by 17:24pm so then I can board the last train from kanazawa to Osaka by 20:35pm using the Thunderbird express.

Why will you detour? Last Hikari to Shin-Osaka departs Tokyo at 20:03.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/26 18:54
Why would you need to go via Kanazawa?

From Narita NEX to Shinagawa and change to the shinkansen from there to Shin-Osaka, i reckon latest by 10.30pm u should be at your accommodation.

For currency, i think it is better to change in your country beforehand, rates should be alot better.
by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/26 19:53
2 hours is pushing it. If you knew exactly where everything is at the airport and you managed to find a very short line at every stop you make and also happen to nail the departure of the train, you "might" make it in 2 hours to Tokyo Station. Give yourself about an extra hour and a half to be sure.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/26 20:30
The reason why I have to transfer from tokyo to kanazawa to osaka is because I am buying the hokuriku arch pass! Hopefully that clarifies everything!
by Alice (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/26 20:41
If you have that many connections to make, I'd spend the night in Tokyo and start the following day. I know a 7 hour flight isn't that much, but you're cutting it way too close for the other departures.

I take a 13 hour flight to NRT and then take a bus to HND for a domestic flight, be it to Kumamoto, Okinawa, Kochi, etc. But I allow myself about 4 hours between landing and departure for my luggage forwarding, wifi pick-up, money exchange, etc. Haneda is extremely efficient for domestic flights (normally), so as long as I arrive to T2 with about one hour to spare, I am fine.

You have less than 2 hours for everything....it is too complicated to do even for me, who knows where everything is. I would wait until the following day to head to Osaka.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/27 00:21
You always have the risk of your international flight being delayed, and if you try to book accommodation at last minutes, you may have less and expensive options, not to mention the hassle of walking around trying to rearrange everything.

Stay for the first night so that you could fully enjoy your detour. You can even consider staying at Kanazawa or any point where your train window view gets dark and boring. It's also a shame not to make any stopovers within the beautiful Hokuriku region with great food.

By the way, when you say "jr pass", people tend to think about the Japan Rail Pass which allows you unlimited travel on all JR trains throughout the country. I assume that is not what you're getting and that you're only getting the Hokuriku Arch Pass instead.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/27 07:34
1. Get my bags. - From landing, immigration, customs to exit count on at least 40 minutes.
2. Rent wifi. - Order in advance and collect from post office. Can be done in 10-15 minutes. (You're up to an hour already.)
3. Currency exchange. - waste of time - do before you leave. And use a bank, not something like travelex.
4. Exchange my documents to get jr pass. - This could take 30 minutes to an hour - depends on queues. Just gone past 17:30.
5. Get to tokyo station. ( I know 1 hour ride) - Wait for the next train If you are lucky you can get the 17:44 arriving 18:48. Add 10 minutes to get to the shinkansen tracks you can get a shinkansen by 19:00.
6. Board the hokuriku shikensen kagayaki by 17:24pm so then I can board the last train from kanazawa to Osaka by 20:35pm using the Thunderbird express. Not a chance.

Getting the badly priced Hokoriku Arch Pass in the effort to save 5000 yen when it stuffs up your travel flexibility is a bad idea if you need to get to Osaka the same day you arrive. People can fly to Osaka for 5000 yen, a lot easier and faster.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/27 10:34
Donft use the arch pass. 4000 yen savings not worth 2-3 extra hours on train (that you wonft have time to make anyway). Just get regular JR Pass and youfll have plenty of time.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time from landing in Narita to Tokyo Station? 2019/8/27 12:01
Kanazawa is a nice city, if you really want to use only Hokuriku Arch Pass, u should stay a night or 2 to justify the pass, otherwise get the regular JR Pass to get to Osaka faster.

Budden on a serious note, if you are going to stay in Kanazawa, i assume you need to get back to Tokyo on the 7th day, then u will have less time for Kansai region, so i still believe the JR Pass would suit u better.
by Delardino rate this post as useful

reply to this thread