Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Tokyo 2019/8/27 06:20
My husband and I together with 3 friends will be extending our stay in Osaka for additional 2 nights after a land tour. After that me and my husband will go to Tokyo and stay in the Shinjuku area for 4 nights and then go back home using Narita airport. My question, is it worthwhile to buy a 7-day JR Pass for this. I think Ifll be able to use it mainly for Shinkansen ride from Osaka to Tokyo and then Shinjuku to Narita airport and hopefully 3 days in Osaka and 5 days in Tokyo. Another question, should I still buy the Suica card or Pasmo card? I plan to just use the JR Yamanote line to keep my budget down. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks
by Gie H (guest)  

Re: Osaka to Tokyo 2019/8/27 08:31
Every day we get these questions... Sigh. The answer is still no. Get an IC card and pay for tickets individually.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Tokyo 2019/8/27 08:39
Not sure what you meant by pay tickets individually, is that for both Shinkansen rides from Osaka to Shinjuku and Shinjuku to Narita Airport? You meant to purchase IC card and not buy JR pass?
by Gie H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to Tokyo 2019/8/27 09:17
JR Pass pays off only when you do a lot of long-distance (inter-city) rides on JR Shinkansen. Since the only leg that you ride Shinkansen train is from (Shin-) Osaka to Tokyo, a 7-day JR Pass does not pay off. Rides on JR Yamanote line in Tokyo are covered by JR Pass, but it does not save you any money, as short-distance ride fare do not add up to what the pass costs.

I would buy a single ticket for Shin-Osaka to Tokyo JR Shinkansen ride (gindividual ticketh), and either JR Narita Express ticket for Shinjuku – Narita or Keisei Skyliner ticket to Narita (if you start from Shinjuku, you take the JR Yamanote line from Shinjuku to Nippori, then change to Skyliner on Keisei railway), then use an IC card for the local, short-distance rides.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka via Tokyo to Narita Airport 2019/8/27 09:44
When will you travel?
When in the day is your departure from NRT scheduled?

You might hope to go by the low cost bus from Ginza to NRT.
http://accessnarita.jp/en/home/#timetable-title-3386

Shinjuku and Ginza
are connected by the Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line.

A Japan Rail Pass does not pay off
for traveling just from Osaka via Tokyo to Narita Airport [NRT].

both Shinkansen rides from Osaka to Shinjuku and Shinjuku to Narita Airport?

Shinkansen trains run not via Osaka Station,
neither to Shinjuku nor to Narita Airport.

You head to Shin-Osaka Station,
make a transfer to the Tokaido Shinkansen,
take a Nozomi or Hikari train (bound for Tokyo)
until Shinagawa Station,
and make a transfer to the Yamanote Line Outer Loop;
Shinjuku Station is the eighth after Shinagawa.

I plan to just use the JR Yamanote line to keep my budget down.

Shinjuku is served
also by many non-JR lines including some subway lines.
JR Shinjuku Station
may not be most convenient for you to get around your hotel.

Shinjuku station complex is huge and complicated.
You had better know in advance
what gate or exit is best and how you can get to your hotel.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread