Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Amanohashidate Day Trip Kyoto (by Car) 2019/8/28 22:24
Hi All,

I'm just after peoples opinion on potentially visiting Amanohashidate via car from Kyoto. At present, I'll be based in Kyoto for 5 nights around Christmas. I've already visited Kyoto for probably 2-3 weeks in total over the years and was planning to focus on more of the outlier locations on the outskirts of the city.

One place I've never visited is Amanohashidate which seems to be around 2'ish hours by train from Kyoto. I'm just after peoples views on hiring a car to get here for a reasonably long day trip with some possible stops on the way. Orix has an absolutely fantastic special for car rentals at the moment (3300 yen a day) and I know that it will probably cost somewhere between 1500-3000 yen for tolls and petrol.

Any thoughts on if you think it's worth visiting would be great to hear. This will be my last trip to Japan, mainly due to visiting the main sites I've already wanted to visit. I've visited sites with a nice view only and found it disappointing but I've also been to locations with nice views with interesting sites to see and do as well....
by mfedley  

Re: Amanohashidate Day Trip Kyoto (by Car) 2019/8/29 19:11
Hi there. Personally, Amanohashidate was a bit of a letdown. I mean, it's a nice view, sure.. but I'm just not sure that it's worthy of its reputation.

However, as a day trip from Kyoto by car, I'd recommend it if you combine with a visit to Miyama (https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3985.html) and Ine (https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3996.html), if you haven't yet visited those two places. That would be a good, full day out.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Amanohashidate Day Trip Kyoto (by Car) 2019/8/30 03:39
I visited Amanohashidate last year. I am glad that I went, but once was enough for me. The gsandbarh is a permanent piece of land and it does not disappear during high tide, like the one in Shodo Island which makes it more special (similar to walking to the Giant Torii Gate in Miyajima). One thing I enjoyed more was a boat cruise on the Ine Bay, a little north of Amanohashidate.

Ine is famous for the boathouses along the shore, but boat ride was the highlight of my trip.
https://youtu.be/zAK8n1e-_ro
by Kona Moon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Amanohashidate Day Trip Kyoto (by Car) 2019/8/30 05:49
How important is it to visit Miayama? The boat house location sounds interesting....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Amanohashidate Day Trip Kyoto (by Car) 2019/8/30 17:19
How important is it to visit Miayama? The boat house location sounds interesting....

Well, Miyama is kind of on the way from Kyoto to Ine anyway so you can easily visit. It's like Shirakawago - a picturesque village of thatched cottages, so it's less about being important to visit and more about being enjoyable to visit.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Amanohashidate Day Trip Kyoto (by Car) 2019/8/30 19:43
Thanks Sarubob.

If I do go on this day trip, I might pop in on the way back depending on the traffic and time I have left for Miyama.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread