Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Review of 15 night Itinerary in March 2020 2019/8/30 16:58

We are leaving for our Japan Trip on the 1st March 2020. Does this itinerary need fine tuning?We will be travelling on a 14 day JR Pass.

1/3 - Leave Sydney A.N.A flight.

2/3 - Land at Haneda 5.05 and travel to Citadines Central, Shinjuku to drop bags then sight see.

3/3 - Day tripon Shinkasen to Hakone. Activate our JR Pass and travel to Odawara,purchase a Hakone Free pass then back to Shinjuku.

4/3 - Sight seeing in Tokyo, maybe Robot Restaurant at night.

5/3 - Day trip to Nikko, Buy Nikko World Heritage Pass.Travel on Shinkasen with JR Pass then back to Shinjuku in afternoon.

6/3 - Leave Tokyo to Kanazawa by Shinkasen. Stay at Daiwa Roynet Hotel, Kanazawa, Local Sight see.

7/3 - Kanazawa to Takayama day trip on Shinkasen and Hida train. Take local bus pass for Hida and Takayama. Back to Kanazawa late afternoon.

8/3 - Kanazawa, Local sight seeing.

9/3 - Leave Kanazawa for Kyoto on Thunderbird Express.Get subway pass and travel to accomodation at Stella Inn Karasura Go Jo.Local sight seeing.

10/3 - Kyoto day trip to Nara on JR Nara Line Rapid.Spend the day in Nara and go to the Fushimi Imari Shrine on the way back to Kyoto.

11/3 - Local sights. Go to Arashiyama,Segano Railway and Hozugawa River Cruise.

12/3 - Leave Kyoto for Shin-Osaka by Shinkasen.Go by subway to accomodation, Osaka View Hotel Umeda. Local Sight seeing

13/3 - Day trip to Koyasan. Buy Koyasan World Heritage Ticket.City Sights

14/3 - Depart Shin-Osaka on Shinkasen for Himeji. Arrive castle early,spend 2/3 hours.

Depart Himeji for Hiroshima.We will spend 3/4 hours there as we are not going to Miyajima as it is getting renovated.We arrive approximately 7.00pm to JR Kyushu Blossom Hotel Hakata.

15/3 - Hakata, Local city sights

16/3 - Hopefully the SL Hitoyoshi is running. Leave Hakata for Kumamoto by Shinkasen. Travel on the SL Hitoyoshi steam train from Kumamoto to Hitoyoshi and return.Sight seeing

17/3 City sight seeing then catch 17.50 A.N.A flight to Haneda,then 22.20 flight to Sydney.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
by Colin Lamond  

Re: Review of 15 night Itinerary in March 2020 2019/8/30 19:52
5/3 - Day trip to Nikko, Buy Nikko World Heritage Pass.Travel on Shinkasen with JR Pass then back to Shinjuku in afternoon.

> If you buy the Nikko World Heritage Pass (http://www.tobu.co.jp/foreign/en/pass/twoday.html) you'll most likely take the Tobu railway trains from Asakusa, rather than JR trains, such as shinkansen.

7/3 - Kanazawa to Takayama day trip on Shinkasen and Hida train. Take local bus pass for Hida and Takayama. Back to Kanazawa late afternoon.

Trains from Kanazawa<>Takayama take a long time. I recommend using the highway bus instead and stopping en route to explore Shirakawago.
https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/highwaybus/kanazawa_en/

The rest of the trip looks fine and actually, a well thought out and interesting trip... have fun!
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Review of 15 night Itinerary in March 2020 2019/8/30 23:14
Hi!

I haven't done the math yet, but I'm not sure a 2 week pass makes sense. Once you're staying in Shinjuku why not just take the Odakyu line to Hakone and you might consider Tobu for Nikko. I agree with PP about not trying to do the shinkansen from Kanazawa to Toyama and then taking the train down. The Hidas from Toyama to Takayama are not well timed and are very infrequent (4x a day.) While Japanese trains are not often delayed, they still can be, and I've noticed the Hokuriku shinkansen line tends to have more delays than other shinkansen lines. (Over my last 4 trips there has been a 5-15 minute delay on the line several days on each trip.)

I don't know why you would take the shinkansen between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka vs. just taking a Special Rapid. There are only so many Hikaris and Kodamas an hour and you still need to change in Shin-Osaka station for Osaka Station no matter what. Heck, going by Hyperdia it is actually 1 minute faster to just take the Special Rapid directly to Osaka Station. You can shave 4 minutes off by timing for when a limited express train is going from Kyoto Station to Osaka Station, but that's about it.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread