Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/8/31 19:48
I found and bought a white suit from https://www.digistyle.com/, Mango brand, but I don't know what clothes they usually wear in Japan for a job interview? Always a first glance can change the view of the manager, and I would love to go into this interview in a fashionable and stylish way to increase my chances of getting a job. Do you think this suit is appropriate? If you have any other suggestions please tell me or if you know a shop or store at a reasonable price in Japan tell me to buy from there.
In addition to my job interview, I plan to stay in Tokyo for a week and visit this city, so thank you for suggesting what kind of cloth is best for a trip to Japan in this season.
by Dinted1997  

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/1 11:11
What kind of job?

If it is an office job, 99+% of people wear either black or navy suit.
by Nan Jakore (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/1 12:43
https://www.tofugu.com/japan/job-hunting-in-japan/

Appropriate clothes for job interview interview in a fashionable and stylish way
If you see above link, that is typical/normal/standard attire.
here are some of the suits reference
https://www.aoki-style.com/
https://www.y-aoyama.jp/
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/1 19:20
White suits are only for comedians and pimps.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/1 20:11
If it is an office job, 99+% of people wear either black or navy suit.

They may look black, but it's actually supposed to be charcoal gray. Black is formal wear, such as for weddings or funerals.

And most industries are not looking for people who show up to a job interview in "fashionable and stylish" clothing. You need to look serious and professional. In any case, I wonder what the industry and field is. It differs greatly depending on that. Maybe the OP is looking for a bar hostess job, which is a wonderful profession too.

By the way, I couldn't find the suit.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/1 20:31
The article introduced above is about new graduates.
When it comes to people with career in a certain field, it's totally different story.

It totally depends on the industry. For example in music and fashion industry, you are expected to present your character to the interviewers also through your clothing. (In those industries, even new graduates wear colorful and fashionable clothes for interviews.) But if you try to be hired by a bank or alike, you should stick to dark navy/charcoal grey suit definitely. For IT companies, it's pretty common for applicants to show up in more casual clothes like denim+ sweater+jacket.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/2 15:39
Yes, it is an office job, so I must buy another suit with navy or black colors?
by Dinted1997 rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/2 18:56
Dark, dark navy or deep charcoal grey, not black.

Plain white shirt, for a man, simple tie, socks the same colour as the suit, black shoes, carefully polished. Plain watch. For a woman, plain but immaculate tights and mid-level heeled black shoes, carefully polished. Minimal jewellery ie watch, plain earrings, wedding ring if you like.

Good luck!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/2 21:30
Yes, it is an office job, so I must buy another suit with navy or black colors?

It's not that you "must". It's just that those are considered as "safe" colors just because everyone else wears them and because they are colors that do make you look like a serious person. And again, it depends on the field or industry of the office.

In any case, I don't know how old you are, but your clothes doesn't exactly have to be expensive. Yet, if you intend to work there, you do need clothes that are suitable for that particular office. Having two sets of suits won't hurt, if it's kind of a suit-wearing office.

That said, I wonder why you decided to apply for that office in Japan. You probably know something about the culture of that office if you're willing to work there, and hence have a good reason for choosing that suit.

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/2 21:51
I donft know that a white suit is a good idea for any office job interview. I think many interviewers are likely to rule you out the minute they see you. Try something more understated.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/3 00:01
Japanese companies hire for sameness and conformity, so in general you should wear the same as everyone else.
The worst thing you can do in Japan job interviews is to stand out or appear different.
This is especially true for Japanese companies.

This goes beyond clothing, but the way you answer interview questions, etc. There are set formats and answers to common interview questions, and I suggest you buy some interview books and memorize them.
Also just a tip, if you are a guy and they ask if you like to drink, say yes even if you canft drink much.
by Pll (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/3 00:02
White suit paired with tinted glasses will be perfect for a yakuza job.
by yabaissu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/3 00:56
@Pll (guest)
I hope you show us your information source.
It sounds a bit biased and disturbing that Japanese companies in general prefer people with "sameness" rather than professionals. How many Japanese companies have you worked for, or how many interviews? Even if you didn't pass, you can't necessarily say it's because you were "different".
Memorized lines can be useful only for greetings. You need to answer more detailed questions depending on your position for sure.

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/3 09:56
Ifve worked in Japan for 10+ years, in both Japanese and foreign firms.
It is on my observation that gsamenessh is what the HR picks over outstanding and different candidates in the 2 Japanese companies I have worked with (both large listed companies)

HR in Japan is very conservative and is not at all uncommon for them to override department decisions on new hires.
by Pll (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/3 10:06
uThe worst thing you can do in Japan job interviews is to stand out or appear different. v

That's a bit of an exaggeration. If standing out/appearing different were an immediate deal-breaker, foreigners would be essentially unable to get jobs in Japan, since, by percentage, we're almost always going to stand out from Japanese candidates.

On the other hand, it's often a bad idea, in a job interview in Japan, to be seen as actively, purposely trying to appear different, which is a separate thing from simply being different. I've got blond hair, and that hasn't prevented me from getting jobs in Japan, even though it's a color that definitely stands out in Japanese workplaces. However, if I had, say, green hair, which I'd dyed as part of a deliberate effort to stand out, then yes, that would probably have lost e a few job offers along the way for office jobs.

With something like suit color, that gets amplified. If I wanted to buy a navy, gray, or black suit in Japan, I could walk 5 minutes from any major train station in downtown Tokyo and find multiple stores stocked with dozens of styles for each of those colors. On the other hand, if I wanted to buy a white suit, I'd probably have to special order it, and maybe go to a specific specialty shop. In other words, I'd have to put a lot of extra effort into getting a white suit in Japan, which would be seen as a sign that I'm actively trying to stand out.

But again, that's not to say Japanese companies want to hire mediocre, average workers. If you excel in some skill or have extra knowledge that's related to the work you're going to be doing, that's an advantage over other candidates, even though it's something that makes you "different."

Japanese companies highly value the ability to work as part of a team. In general, if they're hiring someone new, their primary concern is whether or not the candidate can help the company and its existing employees. But by doing something deliberately to stand out in a non-work performance related way shifts the narrative from "Here's what our company needs, and do you have those skills/traits?" to "Hey, look at how stylish I think I am!" As mentioned above, for some jobs/industries, like cutting-edge apparel marketing or entertainment promotion, a "cool" image might be a plus, or even a requirement. But for a regular office job? No one cares if you can pick out a cool suit, so showing off that talent can make them feel like maybe you're not really all that interested in talking about, or eventually doing, the job you're interviewing for.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/3 11:55
@ Pll
If you can get a job just because you are "the same", the position should be something junior like tea server.
They do check if you have the manner and common sense for sure, especially you will deal with Japanese clients (as you called your company "firm"). If you do something stupid meaninglessly in front of clients, they can lose the client. And they obviously don't want to such a fool.
But at least in Japan which I know, depending on your position and industry, what you can do+what you have done come first.
If you thought you didn't pass because you were "different" for some reason, I bet there was another flaw.

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/3 19:42
The worst thing you can do in Japan job interviews is to stand out or appear different.

That's pretty misleading, because if that is literally true, EVERY same person would pass the interview. By the way, a colleague-to-be of mine was hired (in Japan) because he was the only person who said he's a good party-goer (which is a benefit if you're a salesman in Japan). He didn't become my colleague, because he was hired by a better legendary Japanese company. Actually, I remember chatting with him, and he stood out in many other ways as well, so no wonder he had more opportunities than the others who were more similar to each other.

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/6 13:13
You know what they say: when in Rome...

regardless of rules unwritten or not, wearing a white suit to a job interview might not be the smartest thing to do (for most jobs)

I
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/9 18:12
From the link OP posted, I'm assuming he's Iranian. Wearing a white suit in a business environment in Iran might be perfectly normal but as other posters have noted, it would be so unusual in Japan in anything other than a yakuza office that anyone wearing one to a job interview is likely to be immediately discounted.
As much as the question of what suit to wear, my advice is that OP reads a bit more about Japanese corporate culture and workplace environment if that's where he's aiming to work as there are likely to be many other surprises lying in store for him.
by Come on now (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Appropriate clothes for job interview 2019/9/9 21:01
Actually the OP seems to be female.

Still the normal wear is something dark with a skirt!!! Trousers are possible but much not common a relatively short skirt. Kind of over the knees thing.

Now white is still uncommon but Ifd say that as a women you have a little bit more leeway. I definitely have female colleagues who wear for work light colour (like cream white) trouser suits. They arenft first year right out of university employees but more experienced ones. I (European) tend to wear quite colorful dresses. And normally stand out in a sea of gray/blue/black. But Ifd stand out anyway. So just fine to wear a green dress with a red jacket.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread