Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traditional Japanese breakfasts 2019/9/5 21:43
Hi all,

I've been interested in Japan, Japanese culture, Japanese food etc for years and am finally visiting next year! I've searched in vain for answers to my odd, perhaps slightly dumb, question for a while;

Is there a particular order, or rule which is observed when eating a traditional Japanese breakfast (or any meal which comes with various bowls of food/soup)?

I don't want to offend Japanese people by eating it wrong so wanted to find the answer before I travel!

Thanks!
by Claire (guest)  

Re: Traditional Japanese breakfasts 2019/9/6 06:52
I don't think there is any specific order or rule. Although I have noticed the soups or broths tend to be mainly consumed towards the end of the meal. Maybe an attempt to wash down all the other breakfast items?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traditional Japanese breakfasts 2019/9/6 06:55
Hi, I'm not Japanese but I do like my food and Japanese breakfasts are a particular favorite, we would probably have had traditional breakfasts in hotels or ryokans 50 times or more (which I mention only because it isnt something we have done once or twice). We have asked the question of our hosts or waiters a few times over the years, and they have always brushed off any food has to be eaten in a particular order. So what I say is what I have experienced but I am happy to be corrected.

Usually with breakfasts everything is brought out at once though at once, though at some places it comes out at different times or you might be having things cooked at the table (and in that case we would eat what we were given before the next course comes out or is finished cooking, like on a hibachi). While with red miso in particular it is usually enjoyed at the end of a meal at dinner at least, my plan of attack at breakfast is to have it as soon as it comes out so that it doesnt get cold (cold miso is pretty unpleasant), unless it has one of those caps on the bowl (hot tip, if the cap is stuck on the bowl, squeeze the bowl and it will unseal the vacuum).

I think the golden rule is to enjoy yourself, my experience is that Japanese arent so rigid over eating and there only a few faux pas, like leaving your chop sticks stuck in rice.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traditional Japanese breakfasts 2019/9/6 07:42
There is no set order. You may want to know what to do with some items served at breakfast sometimes.

Like a whole fresh egg (itfs not a boiled egg): if you like, scramble it and pour it over the bowl of rice. If you donft want to eat raw egg, you donft have to touch it.

Seasoned dry seaweed (nori): some people it with rice. Put a piece of nori on top of the rice and wrap it around bite-size clump of rice (with chop sticks, if you can).

Natto: stir it with chopsticks and make it gooey. Some people mix in raw egg. With or w/o the egg, you can pour it over the rice, or you can eat It by itself as a side dish.
by Kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traditional Japanese breakfasts 2019/9/6 15:07
I agree with other posters on many points.

As an ordinary Japanese, I will talk about a typical Japanese home traditional breakfast.
In Japanese language, we usually call meals ggohanh, or in a casual way gmeshih. These two words mean fundamentally gcooked riceh, because since old time, having meals has been nothing but eating rice. Other stuffs like miso soup, cooked or raw egg, natto, pickles, nori, fish (in ordinary ryokan, often served a piece of grilled salmon, of low quality!), etc. are served to make rice more nourishing.
If you observe Japanese ordinary people eating their ggohanh, you easily notice that they often have a bowl of rice in one hand, and using ghashih (chopsticks) with the other hand to pick up other food, and they put down the bowl of rice on the table to take a bowl of miso soup instead, or put the two bowls down on the table to eat other food with more gconcentrationh.
In ryokan (except low ranked ones), they often serve too plenty breakfast, but in my personal opinion, this is not a traditional Japanese breakfast, because in Japan, traditionally, a breakfast is simple and frugal. But, nowadays, in ryokan, a gkaisekih style of breakfast is served; this is not a typical traditional Japanese breakfast, either. If all food is already prepared on the table, you remember what I have explained.

As for natto, this famous food of disgust for foreigners (especially westerners), you donft eat it as it is, without seasoning. A usual way of eating natto is to add a reasonable quantity of soy sauce (to make it enough salty), a little bit of mustard and fine cut gnegih (sort of leek) and to stir it swiftly and fully (more than fifty times if you like, until the whole becomes gooey and slightly whitish, and then to pour a proper amount of it on the rice and spoon up with chopsticks a mouthful of rice and natto. In this way, you can have less smell and more taste (umami).

Anyway, in no matter what order you eat the food, you never offend Japanese people.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traditional Japanese breakfasts 2019/9/6 15:16
watch all videos, anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=japan+table+manners

"Eating order" is fixed.
https://twitter.com/kireinokakera6/status/1166904323806154752

However, this is not "manner",
but a recommended way of eating as nutrition.

haven't confirmed that YouTube video explains "triangular eating" correctly,
the most ugly way to eat is "inu_gui", not in order.

And, if you are with someone who is Japanese,
you should say "itadakimasu" and "gochisousama".
by Nalice (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread