Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/10 13:43
Hi all,
I'm wearing braces so I really need to check and clean my teeth after I'm eating.
Is it okay to brush your teeth on public restroom in station or mall?
Any advice on braces user while travelling in Japan ?
Thank you so much
by Bibbi2 (guest)  

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/10 17:11
I'm sure it's fine to clean your teeth, just be quick as you can and super-tidy about it. You'll probably find some cute toothbrush holders and probably other gadgets to take home for souvenirs.

My only suggestion is to take plenty for your needs-you might struggle to find your preferred toothpaste/brush/floss/wax or other bits and pieces if you run out. Most hotels give you a little toothbrush and paste in the bathroom for your use, these are handy to stock up on and throw in your bag for cleaning on the run if you don't mind the unusual taste of the paste.

Enjoy your holiday in Japan!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/10 18:18
Thank you for your advice!
by Bibbi2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/10 18:55
Also should have said there is rarely paper in Japanese public bathrooms-keep some tissues or similar about you.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/10 19:55
Sure, I've even seen people shaving. Nobody cares.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/10 23:18
I have never seen people shave/brush teeth in a restroom of a station. I have never seen any warning sign prohibiting such activities, either. So I think it is not illegal to do so. But some restrooms (on men's side, at least) are very tight for space and crowded during peak hours. So, my advice would be to look for relatively spacious restroom or less crowded time, and leave the sink area as clean as or cleaner than you found it.
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/11 09:27
From your name I am gguessingh you are female.
I would try to find restrooms in department stores, malls, shopping floors in office buildings (often the lower floors of a high-rise building are used by shop tenants) rather than at train stations. It varies, but those in train stations tend to be pretty tight in space and busy, so that it might be difficult to secure a spot in front of the sink & mirror.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/11 16:15
Thank you everyone for the tips!
by Bibbi2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Brushing teeth in public restroom? 2019/9/23 02:17
It's totally OK. I used to have braces, and I still brush my teeth after eating.
Japan is an old country, so many buildings and stations are old too.
When im outside, I prefer using hotel restrooms or department restrooms to brush my teeth.
I dont know where in Japan you are going to visit, but I recommend to use restrooms at fairly new buildings.
by maru (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread