Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/11 15:16
Hi all,

I'm planning to rent bicycle while in Arashiyama but doesn't seem to know if it's logistically possible so would like to ask if walking/taking bus would be better?

We'll probably stop at other places along the way but our main checkpoints during the trip would be:
1) Reach Saga-Arashiyama station
2) Tenryuuji
3) Sagano Bamboo Grove
(or would it be better to go Bamboo Grove first and later Tenryuuji?)
4) Giouji Temple
5) Saga Toriitomo Preserved Street
6) Visit a specialty store somewhere in Sagatenryuji Wakamiyacho (this would be towards the end of our trip as it's nearby the train station)

I'm especially concerned about the Tenryuuji / Bamboo Grove because I wouldn't want to leave my bike at point A, go to point B and having to backtrack to recollect my bike.
by Uippu (guest)  

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/12 02:35
As a cycling enthusiast I did a similar round through Arashiyama last year just after a major typhoon:

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2018/09/tranquil-part-of-arashi...

I thought that it was perfect to see it by bicycle as only a few streets in central Arashiyama get crowded, but there are so many more places to visit that get into easy reach by bicycle.

Check out the map above.

The bamboo grove you are thinking about gets insanely crowded so not very good by bicycle. The place I entered it (check out the strava map in the blog post) was good for seeing it. But I also ended up in an other bamboo grove (see picture) that I had totally to myself.

And finishing off the day in the small sento right by the train station was great.

Enjoy your day in Arashiyama!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/12 07:38
I think the bamboo grove would be you only issue. The number of people in there is shoulder to shoulder most daylight hours.

I would suggest arriving and visiting the bamboo grove first on foot. Then collect you bicycle and do all the other sights.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/12 10:07
Thank you both for the suggestion.

Most of the guides I read said that the bicycle rental is nearby Saga-Arashiyama or Arashiyama station itself. By any chance is there any other bicycle rental place nearby Tenryuuji or the Bamboo grove if we are to walk there first and rent the bicycle after?
by Uippu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/12 11:24
Depends on which station you arrive at. There are 3 in the area. Saga-Arashiyama being the furthest away.

If you can be more specific. We can help.

Between the bridge and the grove is 300m. Most sight are fairly close. So you should have no issue back tracking a little on foot.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/12 11:34
Ifll be coming from Tambaguchi and will take a train to Saga-Arashiyama as I think itfs the most economical and fast? I read therefs a bicycle rental at the station thatfs why I was planning to rent from there.

But if therefs other rental place thatfs nearer from Tenryuji/Bamboo grove, Ifd probably go to those place instead.

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/12 15:16
If you arrive and will depart from Saga Arashiyama it makes most sense to rent the bicycle there.
What I did was to ride to a gside entranceh of the groove. You can park your bicycle somewhere there, walk a bit through the groove, which is really small, and then walk back to your bicycle and continue.
I wouldnft backtrack the entire way to Saga Arashiyama. And it will be more convenient when you return to have a bicycle drop off close to the station.

There are other places where to rent a bicycle (eg one directly outside of Arashiyama station, on the other side of the river) but I donft remember seeing one right in the center of Arashiyama.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/13 06:02
Yeah no backtracking from Saga-Arashiyama. It is almost a kilometer away.

I like LikeBike's suggestion of hitting the middle entrance. It is from the north and it avoids the crowds. It is the way I walked back to Saga-Arashiyama on my last trip. You can view google maps to figure out a route to travel on.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cycling in Arashiyama 2019/9/13 09:34
Thank you both for the suggestion!

I will try and rent from Saga-Arashiyama then :D

reply to this thread