Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/14 07:37
Hello.

Can anyone tell me if ATMs still close over holiday periods, and if there is any announcement on when ATMs will be closed over the 2019/20 Christmas/New Years period?

The ATM Card I have can be used without additional charges at all 7-Eleven Conbini, so I am hoping those will actually remain open during the period.

We hit the ground running on 29-Dec this year, and will be there through 13-Jan. Just wanting to know how much cash to initially arrive with, to avoid the scary "OMG, we can't get any cash out" conundrum!
by sdg2844  

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/15 08:46
ATMs are generally available over New Year, but additional service fees may apply on holidays. Christmas is not a holiday. Some ATMs are not available 24 hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/15 17:12
I have been in Tokyo several times over the New Year and never had the problem of the 7-eleven ATMs being closed.
by sullon rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/16 00:48
Thanks to both of you. Good to know. Going back several years, around 2005 probably, all ATMs would shut down for nearly a week over this period, but it sounds like that is no longer the case.
by sdg2844 rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/17 00:58
Last year I forgot about the ATM closing thing and ended up having to survive on a few thousand yen for several days... I don't remember exactly which days it was but it was around New Years. Please double check.
I use 7/11 atms.
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/17 04:10
What type of ATMs were you trying to get your money out of? I know 7 holdings in Japan has a website which will probably show closures there. I will check that becauase I can get money from 7-eleven ATMs at no charge.

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/17 06:13
Are you sure they were closed? Or just ran out of money?
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/17 06:15
Well, even if it was "just ran out of money", if they're not restocking the $$ in the ATMs over the holiday period, so there is no money in them, that amounts to the same situation... not being able to get any cash.

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 05:34
by sullon rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 05:55
Well if running out of money and closed are the same situation. Then be adult and plan ahead. Get enough cash out before the holiday rush period begins.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 06:28
No need for the hostility there. I always plan ahead and get out what I believe will be an appropriate amount of cash to have on hand. However, I'm arriving on 12/27 and it is MUCH cheaper from a currency conversion perspective to get money out of ATMs in Japan rather than have it converted by a bank or currency exchange here in the US before we leave. So I'm trying to actually plan ahead and know if I have to go to the extra expense at this end first, because they will be closed when we get there. Sheesh!

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 07:53
The 27th is outside the holiday period being a Friday. So:-

1. They shouldn't have ran out of money, so wont be out of order etc.
2. They wont be closed for the holiday period, (even if that is a real thing).

Easy.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 12:47
Sorry, we arrive on the 29th, leave the US on the 27th.

The holiday period is usually inclusive of Christmas.

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 13:05
The holiday period is usually inclusive of Christmas.

Not in Japan.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 16:25
Ifve never experienced closed ATMs over Christmas.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 20:23
The ATM at 7/11 was definitely closed with a message on the screen stating that it's closed for the holidays. Also tried Family Mart to no avail.
I could still pay for food with my credit card so it wasn't that bad, but still quite annoying not being able to buy smaller stuff in shops.

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/19 20:25
I'd like to add that the message only appeared AFTER I inserted my card. It could therefore just been my bank that didn't accept withdrawals during that period. (Shinsei bank)

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/20 07:17
Ah
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/23 00:50
Yes, when your bank shuts down their systems, you can't use your cash card, even at ATMs of other banks.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ATM Closures during year-end holiday period 2019/9/23 21:02
@...(guest)
Obviously, but I don't remember receiving any notification that they would be closed, so it could be that they just posted in on their site.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread