Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which bank account is good? 2019/9/14 10:32
Hello there! I would like to open a bank account here in Japan since I just received my residence card. Can you suggest any good banks? Preferably that has English and is foreigner-friendly.

I have read up on some banks that have English, but I'd like to have some advice and anecdotes as well to help me make a decision.

Thank you!
by AdNak  

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/15 12:23
Most foreigner who require "English" banking will normally start off with Shinsei Bank (me included).
They are also one of the "more foreigner friendly" bank.

Also, if you plan to work sometimes in the future, you may have to open an account with a bank that is related to your company (for salary purpose).

Other than that unless you plan to deal a lot with bank, any of the big bank should be OK.
Find the one that is near and convenient to you.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/15 12:29
It totally depends on what you're using it for. For example, employers and schools are often specific about which banks they can use to send money to you or accept your expenses from.

But basically, it would be handy to start by opening an account at a bank that is most accessible for you. For example, a lot of banks nowadays charge you a few hundred yen just to accept your savings from a different bank's ATM.

Is there a bank counter in walking distance from your home, work place or school? Post offices run a bank as well.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/15 13:41
Note that Shinsei is among thr the banks that now require foreigners to have lived in Japan for six months before they can open an account, though there seems to be ways around that (for example bif your employer can vouch for you).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/15 16:05
Just to add to the PPs.
My first bank also was Shinsei, as they are well known for being foreigner friendly. However as I didnft manage to get a credit card I later on changed to Citibank (now Prestia) and through them I got my first credit card quite easily. They are also foreigner friendly as they have English website for online banking.

Neither at Prestia nor at Shinsei did I ever encounter someone at the office who spoke English. But both have English phone and internet service.

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/16 15:41
Thanks for the answers! I was leaning towards Shinsei bank as well, but then I saw 7 bank (from 7Eleven). It also looks English friendly. What do you guys think? Any testimonials?

I don't really need a credit card, but I do want debit card and online banking in English.
by AdNak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/16 16:32
Seven Bank also applies the 6-month rule.

Debit cards and Internet bank are probably less useful than you think they are.

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/17 14:24
Really? I've lived in the UK and am a Malaysian, we use debit card just like cash. I do notice that there is a lack of facility to use debit cards here. In both countries, internet banking is also a lifesaver, makes things easier. is that not the case here?
by AdNak rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/17 14:53
Japan is a much more cash based society. However in the last few years at least in the bigger cities this is rapidly changing with people paying more and more by card or even by a card ginh their mobiles.

Your bank card will be useful and internet banking is useful if you need to make a transaction or want to check your balance.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/17 15:02
Well I suppose those things could be useful if you don't have an ATM nearby... I don't have this problem since I'm with Japan Post; wherever I go, there's an ATM.

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/17 15:50
you can't get cash (so called as cashing) at stores with credit cards or debit cards.
as not all stores accept cards, you need to go out with some cash in Japan.
choose the nearest bank at which you can open an account. that is the most convenient, when you have an ATM card.
although you are enjoying choosing a bank, probably you can open an account only at Japan Post bank. most of others banks will refuse to do so, because you have just received your zairyu card. you need to wait for 6 months.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/17 16:21
Thanks for all your advice! I guess there's a lot to consider, but most of you suggest Shinsei bank. I'll do more research.
by AdNak rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/18 16:21
Start with Japan Post Bank. And decide on others as you stay longer.
Their ATM is bilingual, Japanese/English. Depends, its ATM operating hours is longer than other banks some 24/7, widely available.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which bank account is good? 2019/9/18 17:03
Uh, no, 24/7 JP Bank ATMs are very rare. Probably there's only a handful of places nationwide that have them.

reply to this thread