Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hanami April 12-19, 2020 2019/9/19 05:18
Hi minna-san!

Me and my family will be travelling to Japan next year during these dates above. Can you please suggest places in Japan where it's best to see some Somei Yoshino in full bloom? We really like the white cherry blossoms variety so any place in full bloom is our must-see.

Thanks in advance!
by TerenceR  

Re: Hanami April 12-19, 2020 2019/9/19 15:26
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hanami April 12-19, 2020 2019/9/21 08:17
Somei Yoshino is just one of the varieties, but here are many other white cherry blossom options. Ogawara near Sendai (as an example) has a thousand trees along the river that should be in full bloom around that time and are much more impressive than some of the famous/popular viewing sites. Over the last decade the best displays I have seen were not Somei Yoshino - the dwarf cherry at Ninna-ji were spectacular last year.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hanami April 12-19, 2020 2019/9/21 10:37
Note that the blooming season is somewhat unpredictable, and it's only possible to go by average dates this far out. More certain full bloom times won't be known until March, or even April, as they are very weather dependent. You should have a flexible itinerary that allows you to "chase" full bloom to other locations if you have your heart set on seeing it.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hanami April 12-19, 2020 2019/9/21 14:08
Ogawara near Sendai (as an example) has a thousand trees along the river that should be in full bloom around that time and are much more impressive than some of the famous/popular viewing sites.

Note that the trees along the Shiroishi River around Ogawara are virtually all Somei Yoshino.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread