Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/9/19 08:56
Playing to visit tokushima in Dec. Interested to visit lya valley , however as I Google , it seem that it is closed from dec to mar. But there are some place such as Iya Vine Bridge is closed during winter. As I plan to self drive , any other places in or near lya valley which I could visit in Dec.? Thanks
by buzzmario  

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/9/19 11:40
Some things are closed but others are open. Treat yourself to a fancy room at Hotel Iya Onsen.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7827.html
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/10/22 11:49
Hi May i know will it snow during dec at Iya valley. I understanding it is a narrow and windy road. Just worry if it snow i might have difficulties driving. I will be coming from takamatsu. thanks
by buzzmario rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/10/28 11:41
Hi , anyone can advise will it snow during mid dec on the road to iya valley? Thansk

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/10/28 13:53

https://www.iyatime.com/Services
Winter is usually cold. At lower elevations like central Ikeda and lower Oboke & Koboke, the temperature usually does not go below freezing all that often, meaning there usually isn't much snow (though it does occur sometimes). As one rises in elevation into the mountain areas the temperature correspondingly begins to drop. In Nishi-Iya, snow can be more common, but usually it is just on the edge of freezing, so what snow that occurs will often melt in a couple days. As one enters deeper into Oku-Iya snow will be more common and temperatures will be several degrees colder than Ikeda. Many places in Oku-Iya close for this season. Mountain tops will be snow covered as early as mid-November, and many mountain passes can be un-drivable through much of the winter.

I stayed at Iya onsen one night in late november a few year ago, pleasant weather, no snow.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/10/28 19:46

I am also planning to revisit Iya Valley in December, and just got confirmation from the hotel that first snow would normally be expected at the end of Dec. Snow chains and snow tyres are " absolutely necessary".
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/10/29 18:42
hi thanks, my is mid dec, so do i need to request for snow chain and typre? this thing i that i never drive in s now and i do even know how to fix pup a chain.

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/10/29 21:59

Your rental company can easily advise you what you might need. I was once driving in Nagano, early winter, no snow; still, the rental car company fitted winter tyres without being asked.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting lya valley in Dec 2019/10/30 07:03
(Unlike Nagano) Tokushima is not among the prefectures where all rental car companies will provide cars with winter tires by default. Therefore, make sure at the time of reservation that you get a car with winter tires - just in case.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread