Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/20 06:25
I was wondering, do anyone know the max size of coin lockers available at Hachinohe station? It is a shinkansen station, so I guess med size should be no problem...

Thank you
by Ale345  

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/20 11:00
Can't say I know by heart the sizes, but I know I can fit a pretty full gym bag in the small size.

https://locker1.exblog.jp/21112348/
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/20 17:30
Thank you very much John! That's exactly what I was looking for: a picture with size and number of lockers.

I need the lockers in Hachinohe because I plan to walk along the Oirase stream while traveling from Hakodate to Sendai . The main problem is that it's a 3 man group so we will travel with 2 trolleys and 1 gym bag probably. Plan B is to get a room at the start of the hiking course, while plan C is to use a luggage shipping service.
by Ale345 rate this post as useful

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/20 19:39
Plan B is not a very viable option since you may choose it and realize there are no accommodations at the beginning of the trail (and I don't remember seeing too many in the two times I went there as a tourist and the 20 or so times I went as a temporary resident).

Option C may be better, but you must know it takes 2 days from Hokkaido to Honshu. Send the luggage out in the morning the day prior to your departure so that it'll arrive at your destination the day you arrive.

Leaving it at the station is good too, and if you arrive early enough (the best option), you can get lockers without much hassle. This also depends on when you're going to do this. If it's for the fall colors, then be prepared to arrive at Hachinohe Station on the first available train and hope they're not taken by people who traveled there on local lines.

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/20 21:18

Plan B is to get a room at the start of the hiking course

Hoshino Resorts Oirase Keiryu Hotel is a perfect choice if you are planning to stay a night in the area, free hotel shuttle bus from and to Hachinohe station:
https://www.oirase-keiryuu.jp/en/
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/20 21:47
Perhaps I should have said "vacancies" instead of "accommodations". During Kouyou, it may be difficult to get a room on the same day.

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/20 22:33
@John Yeah that's roughly what we came up too (based on the datamining we did yesterday), but hearing it from a living being is much better. Btw, we are planning for October 2020 ;) we like booking early on.

@shinji Thank you very much, I put this on my notes, but I think we will probably get a room at https://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/ryokan-single/?ryokan=Hotel%20Towa... after the hiking and the cruise like Sam Evans did here on Japan-Guide (without the bags of course).
by Ale345 rate this post as useful

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/21 00:26
I used to go there very often , about 20 times like I said, when I stayed at Misawa, relatively close and north of Hachinohe. It was quite lively back then but that was from 1987 to 1989. I have been there twice as a tourist since (2013 and 2016) and that last time I felt so depressed. The towns in the caldera of the volcano were devoid of tourists. It was nearly deserted. Aomori is one of the poorest prefectures and perhaps that has led to the decline of tourism on a regular basis. I am not counting on the kouyou season, obviously.

As a tourist, I once took a bus from Aomori Station to Oirase Gorge and then took a bus back to Hach (as we military folk called it back then) to catch the Shinkansen to Sendai. The other time I overnighted at Hachinohe from Sendai, took in the Gorge and went up to Hakodate from Hachinohe once again. Aomori used to be my playground and I would drive almost anywhere on my three day weekends between 14 day cycles. But that was so long ago...three emperors ago.

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/21 01:52
Hi!

Actually, this is getting a bit off-topic but I suspect that Misawa has also lost some of its liveliness because you used to have to take the limited express from Morioka to Aomori and it went through Misawa and now you can take the shinkansen and it does not. I also wonder if the US Base near Misawa has shrunk. In '09 when I went to Osorezan, I met around a dozen foreigners who were all connected to the US Military base in Misawa.

Like @John, I took the bus from Aomori to Oirase and then a bus to Hachinohoe, but in my case I then took the Limited Express back to Aomori since I was staying there. I just wanted to see more of the route. I have stayed overnight in Oyu onsen and in Towada City though. I loved Oyu, but I wouldn't go without a car. I regret not seeing more in Towada City like the art museum.

I am unsure of the transfer times, but you might be better off going Hakodate to Shin-Aomori, leaving bags there and catching a bus to Oirase. I believe there are more buses from Shin-Aomori/Aomori than from Hachinohoe.

If you have the time when you're in Hakodate, I'd recommend Onuma, it's a short train trip away and really lovely.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/21 03:26
rkold, I got a car when I first arrived at Misawa, so I never had to take the Aoimori Railway. But I do remember being on the Shinkansen platform at Hachinohe and seeing a 100 series. The station has gone through a complete metamorphosis and now it's quite lovely and sheltered for the winters they get there. Of course , the first time I was there was Showa 62.... On a curious bit on info, I was in Japan on the first day of Heisei and the last day of Heisei.

At Towadako, I met a group of military stationed at Misawa. I told them I had been stationed there and they didn't bat an eye. They were the type of people who don't give a good impression of either the military or Americans, so I just blew them off....

Misawa AB has shrunk a bit since "Security Hill" has been severely downgraded. I used to work in electronic warfare there and the personnel assigned there has nearly disappeared. I think they still have F-16s there. When I was there they had 3 squadrons with the tail code "MJ" but now I think they have the "WW" wild weasel tail codes.

But I was there when there was no such thing as internet or cell phones and the only signs you could read were about a 10 mile radius from the base. Things have changed drastically in the 30 years since I've been stationed there, I'm sure....

Re: Coin lockers size at JR Hachinohe station? 2019/9/21 07:51
@John, the US military people I met were all really nice and it was pre Aoimori Railways. I'd stupidly missed the bus back from Osorezan and I came close to begging one of them to drive me to JR Misawa Station lol That time, it was JR between Hachinohoe and Hakodate, just limited express JR. I remember seeing the future shinkansen tracks from my limited express between Aomori and Hachinohoe. The station at Hachinohoe was nice, I don't think I was ever there pre-shinkansen, but I do remember when the line ended at Morioka.

This past trip was the first time I drove in Japan. Driving in Tohoku in the Summer is a complete pleasure and I want very much to do it again.

But I think for anywhere in Japan, being on a JR line, particularly a semi-frequent JR line just gets you so much more attention.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread