Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4-5 days around Karuizawa in autumn 2019/9/20 14:35
Would like to base myself in Karuizawa. What are the interesting day trips I could make?
by Judith (guest)  

Re: 4-5 days around Karuizawa in autumn 2019/9/20 17:26
Hi, we really like Karuizawa. I think poking around the town and maybe doing the walk from the lookout back to town would take about a day, maybe a little more. The ginza street is good, nice restaurants, good shops. The shopping centre is - well - a shopping centre.

A day trip to Kusatsu Onsen would be worthwhile, especially if you are into onsens. That bus leaves from the train station every hour or hour and a half, and takes about an hour and a half. You can stop at Shiraito falls on the way back, though Kusatsu Onsen is particularly fun in the evening.

Also consider a day trip to Bessho Onsen. It is accessed via Ueda, I think the next shinkansen stop along or back, then a nice little train trip. Bessho Onsen is a nice town with some decent sites outside of the onsens.

We have stayed at Tsuruya ryokan a few times and really enjoyed it. Last time we stayed at Le Grand Kyu which was excellent, one of our new favorite hotels.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4-5 days around Karuizawa in autumn 2019/9/20 19:34
What type of things do you want to see and do?

It really depends on the person. If you don't like hot springs and don't want to travel, you might find it limiting in Karuizawa. If you like nature, are willing to make day trips and like onsens if can be close to nirvana...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 4-5 days around Karuizawa in autumn 2019/9/20 21:30
Hmm, not keen on onsen. Walking, easy cycling, pottering all fine. Don't mind hiring a car but prefer short distances around 1 hour away.
by Judith (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4-5 days around Karuizawa in autumn 2019/9/20 22:22
I would like to suggest Bessho onsen via Ueda city. If you are not interested onsen, neighboring old temples with history of about 500 year are worth to visit. (I think visitors to the temples are relatively few)
by tk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4-5 days around Karuizawa in autumn 2019/9/20 22:44
I enjoyed Ueda City, I went to see the ruins of the Castle. I've spent several days on several trips in Nagano City and rather like it. It has a huge famous temple complex (Zenkoji) and I've been out to Matsushiro and Kawanakajima. If you rent bikes at Nagano train station, the ride should be relatively easy, I seem to remember it being flat as I walked from Matsushiro back to Nagano Station. The road was busy, but had a sidewalk.

I know there are easy cycling trips out of Nagano around the Obuse area. I am not sure if its outside your 1 area travel distance though. I didn't do them.

Enjoy!
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread