Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sapporo Snow Festival 2020 2019/9/22 11:43
Hi.
Understand the festival runs until 11 Feb 2020.
Presumbly this means we can visit the sites and see the ice scultptures etc on 11 Feb itself ?
Also, is one afternoon and 1 evening sufficient for the festival ?
Thanks.
by lifesucketh  

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival 2020 2019/9/22 18:33
Presumbly this means we can visit the sites and see the ice scultptures etc on 11 Feb itself ?

Yes, that's right.

Also, is one afternoon and 1 evening sufficient for the festival ?

Yes, it is enough to see the Odori and Susukino sites. If you wanted to also visit the Tsudome site, you would have to travel at a fast pace to cover it all, but the Tsudome site is generally much less interesting.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival 2020 2019/9/23 00:12
Itfs doable and I do recommend trying to see both the Odori and Susukino sites in daylight and at night, because the snow and ice do look very different in the different lighting. Especially Odori, since they do laser projections at night.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Sapporo Snow Festival 2020 2020/1/5 01:19
Thanks all.
Will be there on 10 Feb (late afternoon onwards) and 11 Feb (whole day).
- is there a recommended itinerary or route to take ?
- is there a vantage point from where one can get a good view of the festival site ?
- when is the sunset (on average) then ?
Thank you.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival 2020 2020/1/5 08:00
You could get a nice view of the Odori site by going up Sapporo Tower. Therefs not much to suggest for groutesh since theyfre laid out in straight lines. Just start at one end and head toward the other. The only choice you might make is which end of Odori you start at. One end will be smaller community-made sculptures and the other is the huge building-sized sculptures. So it depends on whether you want to start small and work your way toward the more impressive stuff, or vice versa.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival 2020 2020/1/6 08:39
Two additional comments. I have seen reviews/comments on the tail end of the festival a while back. The suggestions were in favour of seeing the snow sculptures at the beginning, rather than the end of the festival as they deteriorate. How much I am not sure, but if the 10th/11th are your only days available then it would be better then not seeing the sculptures at all.
The second point is a a little less certain. I have seen a report that the festival organisers are having problems with snow this year. The winter is more mild than usual and they are having some extra challenges sourcing the snow they need. Still, there are a few more weeks to go so time for temperatures to drop and to get some snow before the end of the month.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Sapporo Snow Festival 2020 2020/1/19 19:40
Thanks all.
- unfortunately we can only make it on 10/11 Feb :(
- yes, I read about the lack of snow this year, hoping for the best
- is the Tsu Dome site worth a visit too ?
- are there any other good observatory points (preferably free) where we can get a good photo overview of the snow festival ?
- is there a map or so of the festival this year (preferably in English) ?

Thank you.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread