Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/9/24 04:40
Tokyo,Nikko(day trip)-Hakone-Kyoto,Nara(day trip)-Osaka(day trip)-Miyajima/Hiroshima-Tokyo
We are 13 days,12nights
Thank you.
by Garyw  

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/9/24 09:51
Use the rail pass calculator in the "Plan a Trip > Transportation" section of this website.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/9/24 10:07
For most people the cost of a Tokyo to Hiroshima round trip is more than the cost of the 14-day rail pass. You have Nikko which costs around 5k to get to using Tobu Railways, but the pass covers the JR trains there so the 11k round trip (using shinkansen) is also covered.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/9/24 12:23
Sorry, Rail calculator shows Tokyo-Hiroshima return as 37k Yen vs 14 day JR Pass as 46k yen?
by Garyw rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/9/24 15:26
Yes, you would need to do more JR travel than just the Tokyo-Hiroshima leg. Put all of your JR trips into that calculator and see what you get.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/9/24 16:03
If you are able to cover the Kyoto/Hiroshima area and get back to Tokyo within 7 days, then maybe a 7 days pass, 2 days Hakone pass and the Nikko Area pass could save you abit of money compared to the 14 days pass.
by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/10/14 20:44
Hi Garyw,
My recommendation is to check your itinerary on Hyperdia to be entirely sure that the 14-days Japan Rail Pass pays off. This pass is only worthy if you have in mind traveling on long-distance trips (for example on day trips). Here you can learn step by step how to use this transportation tool: https://www.jrailpass.com/hyperdia
I hope this helps you. 

by Derek Moore (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/10/15 01:34
You may consider flying Horishima to Tokyo on last day rather than returning to Tokyo by train. If you book a few weeks/months in advance, you can often find tickets for 8000y or less from Hiroshima to Haneda airport. It's only an 80 minute flight vs 4 hours on train. But honestly by the time you add in time to get to/from airport and security it is likely not much faster.

Nikko day trip = 2040y world heritage pass
Tokyo - Hakone - Odawara = 5700 yen Hakone free pass
Odawara to Kyoto = 12300y Shinkansen
Nara day trip = 1420y JR Nara Line Rapid
Osaka day trip = 1140 JR Rapid Service
Kyoto to Hiroshima = 11620 Shinkansen
Hiroshima to Miyajima = about 1000y round trip by tram and ferry
Hiroshima to Haneda flight = about 9000 y

Total about 40000 yen, excluding airport transfers and luggage fee if you took plane.

Even if you get the JR pass, you will still probably want a Hakone pass as JR pass doesn't cover anything in Hakone past Odawara.

by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/10/15 07:24
Honestly, it might also depend on how soon OP is taking their trip. Going by this website, the Tobu trains to Nikko and the Odakyu line to Hakone-Yumoto are both currently down due to damage from the typhoon.

It is unclear how long both will be down:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

and

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/10/15 09:09
Sorry, Rail calculator shows Tokyo-Hiroshima return as 37k Yen vs 14 day JR Pass as 46k yen?
That is why I don't use those "calculators - they are misleading. You are not doing a simple round trip, but with stops. While Tokyo to Hiroshima is around 19,000 yen, Tokyo to Kyoto plus Kyoto to Hiroshima is around 25,000 yen (14k plus 11k - roughly).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is 14 day JR Pass worth it? 2019/10/17 21:41
I highly recommend the Japan Rail Pass. I have used it once on my 1 week trip and it saved me a ton of money. You can choose a pass that covers the entire country, or separate areas within Japan. It covers the Shinkansen (only Hikari and Kodama) as well. Get it at one of the travel agencies in you respective country/area http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/purchase.html
by SakuraShinkansen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread