Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Forced to leave apartment 2019/9/25 01:06
I am living in an apartment. Ifve been living here for a little over 2 years Ifve paid for rent and all utilities on time. The real estate agency sent me a letter which said I must leave by 12/27/2019 due to the fact that the building does not adhere to the building earthquake laws. That law was made in 1982. It is now 2019. What am I entitled to if I must leave? The new contract is only 3 months old...
by Tony Takahashi (guest)  

Re: Forced to leave apartment 2019/9/25 08:31
They have given notice under the terms of the contract. Without knowing the specific clause, there will probably be a several standard "boiler-plate" clauses such as "termination for illegality" and in this case they have information about the building compliance with a building code. Not sure why you would be entitled to anything.

You are not the first and nor will you be the last person forced to leave an apartment - LeoPlace21 had to turn out more than 14,000 residents earlier this year.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Forced to leave apartment 2019/9/25 11:32
You should definitely be entitled to some sort of payment to cover moving expenses, fees for a new apartment and that sort of thing, but you will need to ask for it. It could amount to several months' worth of rent.

It might be a good idea to consult with a tenants' rights group or a tenant lawyer's office for further advice on your rights.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Forced to leave apartment 2019/9/25 12:14
At least you should be refunded part of the money that you put down for the new contract. If you go further, you should be entitled to some compensation due to the expenses of suddenly moving out and moving in to a new apartment, because you are not moving out voluntarily and you were still under a contract. If there's any other way in which you think this is affecting you, you should ask compensation for it. For example, you might need to take days off to urgently find a new place. They should cover your unpaid salary for those days. Definitely discuss with a lawyer and fight for you rights. don't be apologetic as the second poster seems to suggest.
by loi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Forced to leave apartment 2019/9/25 13:31
Thank you everyone for your advice! I found a real estate consultant! Wefre going to the real estate agency to discuss the terms. Ifll update how it went!
by Tony Takahashi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread