Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan 2020 July/August 2019/9/25 05:00
Hi there,

I spontaneously bought a ticket for the Olympic Games 2020. The event itself is on August 1.
I thought about going for 3 weeks while Tokyo will be the end of the trip.
Since the prices in Tokyo itself are pretty heavy, I want to stay there just a few nights.

So I am still trying to figure out where to go the 2-2,5 weeks before Tokyo? Especially considering main season and the Olympic Games. Will most people that visit the Games stay in and around Tokyo? Or is entire Japan going to be more crowded than usual just because of the Olympic Games?

First I thought about arriving in Sapporo and checking out Hokkaido. But I am not sure if Hokkaido is the best choice without a car. Renting a car as a single traveler is too expensive unfortunately. Or do they rent small scooters/motor bikes for much less money than a car? I have a motorcycle license. So this would be possible.

Another option. Arriving in Osaka and explore entire Shikoku (and Wakayama + Mie if there is time left) before going to Tokyo

Third option. Arriving in Fukuoka and explore the West Coast. This area is probably the area with best accessibility by public transportation.

Fourth option. Only stay in Tokyo for a week and don't do anything else because Japan is way more expensive everywhere due to the Olympic Games (which I haven't figured out yet. I don't have regular prices for July/August I could compare). But the flight ticket from Germany isn't a bargain, it probably doesn't make sense to stay for only 1 week.

I have been to Kyushu in August 2018. Kyushu was my first Japan experience and I loved it. I have to go back there but not next year and I would probably need full 3 weeks for the next Kyushu trip.

Why not Northern Honshu? I just haven't thought about it yet. I don't know a lot about it.

Why not Central Honshu/Kanto? Because I thought that would be still in a range a lot of people visiting the Olympic Games could consider for traveling. But I am not sure.

It's probably a silly question to ask where to go. But maybe there are places that could be preferred over others for specific reasons. Cheaper, less people, good accessibility etc. ;)
by TomMunich  

Re: Japan 2020 July/August 2019/9/25 09:00
Or is entire Japan going to be more crowded than usual just because of the Olympic Games?
Many people will avoid Japan because of the Olympics - it is called displacement. Tourists don't like being gouged for hotels and the crowding will put people off. Same is true right now for the rugby - people delaying trips for better times of year.

For your travel plans, July is a hot month, so heading north and mountain regions will be a bit cooler.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2020 July/August 2019/9/25 20:06
Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. Sapporo is cooler. Even though I don't bother the heat. I have been in Kyushu in August. The only thing I hate about hot weather is my pale skin and the need for sun screen which makes my skin feel as if I haven't showered for a week. If you avoid cotton and only wear sports activewear, even Kyushu feels great in summer.

The prices in Tokyo are not really acceptable that's why I only want to stay about 3-4 nights in Tokyo itself. But I already checked Fukuoka, Nagano for last weekend of July 2020 and the prices for Hostels were ok. 20-25€/night. In Kyoto it starts at 10€/night. Those prices don't look more expensive to me compared to a normal July without the Olympic Games.
I wouldn't feel gouged paying 20-25€/night for a hostel.

Last year we met a young Japanese near Aso/kyushu. He traveled by scooter. Are scooters cheap/easy to rent? Because for Hokkaido being flexible and independent of public transport is probably the best way to explore it.
by TomMunich rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2020 July/August 2019/9/25 21:34
Hint - head up to Tohoku which is the north part of the main island. There will be less rain, more temperate weather, less crowds and some of the most amazing scenery in Japan. Rishiri and Rebun Island in northern Hokkaido are also quite pretty with the wildflowers as well...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2020 July/August 2019/9/26 01:32
And it's important to remember that not all hotels and hostels in Tokyo or the rest of Japan have rooms available more than 6 months out. Some places really don't start taking reservations until 6 months out and I've noticed some places have their best prices 4-5 months out.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2020 July/August 2019/9/26 01:53
Hokkaido presents a need for a car if you want to check out its big wilderness areas, but therefs plenty of Hokkaido thatfs accessible by train just like any other part of the country. Sapporo, Otaru, Asahikawa, Furano, Noboribetsu, Hakodate... Donft think that you must have a car to visit Hokkaido.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 2020 July/August 2019/9/26 05:01
Regarding Hokkaido:
- It is actually quite common to travel through Hokkaido by motorbike. And July/ August would be a perfect month for that. If motorbike rental is cheaper than car, I dont know.
- if you have a German driving license, read up the requirements to drive in Japan, but essentially it is very easy. Just get a specific piece of paper from JAP and you can drive. No international driving license needed /accepted.
- I did Hokkaido (partially) by bicycle 2 years ago, and that was also great. Might be a good, and very economic way to get around... but you'd need your own bicycle (or shop around for GOOD !!! rental bicycles, which might be a bit more complicated). http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Hokkaido+Ride

If heat is not a problem for you, sure, Kyushu is also nice. Shikoku is nice... There are just so many nice places that it is hard to decide. But yes, I would probably avoid Tokyo during Olympics as much as possible for the hotel prices and go somewhere further afield. My personal choice would be Hokkaido and Tohoku (but that's because I am not heat resistant).

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread